1st serial # issued for outdoorsman 38-44.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jeffs77
  • 1 Post By jonesy814

Thread: 1st serial # issued for outdoorsman 38-44.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

1st serial # issued for outdoorsman 38-44.

Hello all, I have an opportunity to purchase a 38-44 outdoorsman. I researched the serial number and it seems it may be the beginning number for the outdoorsman. The gun is in VGC although it has MOP grips and is finished in nickel, neither I believe are original. Can anyone offer any information as to the significance this may have on this gun. Thanks gentlemen. And ladies ! Whew. Lol
    gearchecker and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    702 times
    If you really want to find out, paying 100 bucks (there's a word for this beginning with the letter "r") for a S&W factory letter is probably your only means of doing so. But even if this is the very first .38 Outdoorsman, a refinish, esp. in nickel, kills any special value attached to its being "No 1." So, my opinion is, don't pay more than a refinished Outdoorsman is worth, regardless of the ser. no.

Member #
    Liked
    37924 times
    I think there are people who would pay more for the first one, in almost any working condition. S&W would have to verify that it was indeed the first though, and I really don't know how much " more" they might pay
    jeepnut likes this.

Links