Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: S&W Hammerless "Lemon squeezer"

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

S&W Hammerless "Lemon squeezer"

Good day to the S&W Forum,
    I have the chance to purchase a S&W Hammerless "lemon squeezer" in .32 S&W. The pistol is nickel and in good condition with no flaking, the grips are original and in good condition. The serial number indicates it is the second model.Overall the pistol is in Good condition and functions correctly except for one issue, when the pistol is "broken open" it will not latch and lock when returned to the firing position. The latch is present but does not need to be depressed to open the pistol. I can't provide photos which I know is an issue but how extensive would the repair be? The asking price has been adjusted to $300 due to the problem with the latch. Is this a fair price and if I purchase the pistol are parts available for it?

Member #
    Liked
    60009 times
    Probably needs a readily available spring but w/out actually examining it who knows?
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26829 times
    Without knowing exactly what is causing the malfunction it's hard to guess on a repair cost. Parts are available thru a couple different companies, so that shouldn't be much trouble, other than the wait to get them to you or your gunsmith.
    Most gunsmiths have certain guns they specialize in, and are often not proficient with every make and model out there. Especially considering guns have been around for nearly 400 years.
    Call around and find a gunsmith that is familiar with old S&W's and talk to them about your needs.
    To me $300 sounds like a fair price considering the lock up problem.

My guess is that it needs a really good cleaning, and proper lubrication first off. If that doesn't resolve the lockup issues, then it's time to get a gunsmith involved.

Best guess is it'll be close to $200 and possibly more for a good gunsmith to go thru the pistol and make sure everything is fixed and in good, safe working condition.

I wish you well in this endeavor.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Injunbro likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA612 View Post
    The asking price has been adjusted to $300 due to the problem with the latch. Is this a fair price and if I purchase the pistol are parts available for it?
    These guns don't bring a lot even in perfect condition, so I don't think this is a good price unless the gun was just about mint. It's a serious problem, maybe easily repaired, maybe not.
    Injunbro and Waidmann like this.

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    Best guess is it'll be close to $200 and possibly more for a good gunsmith to go thru the pistol and make sure everything is fixed and in good, safe working condition.
    He's going into a hole impossible to climb out of if he pays that amount. And where do you find a good gunsmith specializing in old S&Ws? I'd like to know myself.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26829 times
    Sadly, my gunsmith up in Idaho has retired. He has repaired every S&W I ever had issues with, going all the way back to a model 2 I have.. He's been a gunsmith for decades, and we became good friends over the years.
    He wasn't inexpensive, and he did great work. I just moved here to Tennessee and haven't yet found a smith that can work on any of my super old S&W's.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Hey Triple A, Look these prices over carefully, & you'll get a good idea what this gun is worth: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...=1&PageSize=48

Pay close attention to the number of bids--"0" bids means the gun was listed at a high price & did not sell!

Member #
    Liked
    60009 times
    I've bought & repaired a lot of old broken guns but never pay more than 1/2 what they're worth when fixed (1/4 is better). I usually made a profit. However I had the tools & know-how to do the work myself, I'd offer very low.
    Cliff likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    I've bought & repaired a lot of old broken guns but never pay more than 1/2 what they're worth when fixed (1/4 is better).
    How about 1/0? That's what you can have my 5-shot .32 H&R for, if you'll pay shipping. It's in very nice condition, cute as a bug in a rug, but with a trigger spring that's defective, & after wasting countless hours trying to fix it, I just want it "gone."

PS--If you're REALLY willing to work on it, I'LL pay the shipping!

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Adirondacker,
    Thanks for your reply. I am not familiar with the "lemon squeezer" and thanks to you I didn't get burned. Thanks so much for your assistance!!!
    Cliff likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links