44 S&W Special hand ejector cleaning
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: 44 S&W Special hand ejector cleaning

Member #
    Liked
    6459 times
    Was that fine (0000) bronze wool? Not the pot scrubber kind.
    Coleg1121 likes this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Not pot scrubber kind but not quite as fine as the steel wool that you can catch fire to. Grabbed it from a neighbor so don’t have the packaging. But I chunked it anyways. Guess I should have made sure. Will a Brillo pad be ok? Or is that still too abrasive?

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleg1121 View Post
    I got a bronze wool as on of you suggested but it’s scratching it.
    Are you using it with oil? Have to do that with either steel or bronze wool, along with a light touch. Brillo may be OK for screws, but not frame & brl.
    Coleg1121 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Yes, MMO and ATF mix. As delcrossv said, I should have got the 0000. ( like he told me to!!). Where can I find that stuff? A hardware store? Also how long should I soak parts. 24 hrs and scrub? Or is it the longer the better?

Member #
    Liked
    6459 times
    24 hrs minimum. Longer is better. Won't hurt the metal to leave it in there.
    Fine bronze wool is available at hardware store, Home Depot, or Amazon. Make sure there is a coating of oil on the surface before you use it. Per my p.m. I wouldn't recommend using any polishing items on the hammer or trigger
    Last edited by delcrossv; 01-13-2020 at 08:36 PM.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    11015 times
    Do NOT remove the barrel! Special tools and skill are required to prevent damaging the frame and barrel.
    Leo918 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2876 times
    Ace Hardware is a good place to buy fine bronze wool.
    bluecar likes this.
    Always looking for a deal on more reloading components & ammo. I once tried to see things from the liberal perspective - but I discovered I'm not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by series guy View Post
    Do NOT remove the barrel! Special tools and skill are required to prevent damaging the frame and barrel.
    Too late for that advice! Nor was it necessary for merely cleaning the metal.
    Coleg1121 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Yea a little too late series guy! But there was a bunch of rust between barrel and frame so I would say it was necessary. At least for my version of clean. And it actually came off with and unbelievably small amount of torque. Don’t think I could have hurt anything. And I found an old crown pin punch that nock the pin right out with two taps of a hammer. I’m assuming damage to the frame would be twisting? Guess I’ll know when I put it all back together. Nonetheless, thanks for the advice.

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleg1121 View Post
    And it actually came off with and unbelievably small amount of torque.
    Surprising & interesting, esp. if there was rust involved. A job I've never tried or even thought about doing, but makes me wonder if the reason for using the pin in the first place was because the fit of the barrel in the frame was not, nor was it supposed to be, excessively tight. Reminds me of an early Colt Woodsman I once had, the barrel of which I one day discovered could be unscrewed by hand; not pinned, obviously.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Links