38 S&W ctg. Questions
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 38 S&W ctg. Questions

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

38 S&W ctg. Questions

I have a pre model 10 marked 38 S&W ctg on the barrel serial # 7462XX is this a 38 200 made for the British. All numbers match, has a swivel on the butt. The finish looks to be parkerized is this correct. Sorry I don't have pictures. Working on that. Any info on the year made. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    61066 times
    Is there a V on the butt along w/ the serial #? 1942-45.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No V before the serial number.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    37807 times
    Sounds like one if its 38s&w. If it is there should be foreign proof marks stamped on it in multiple places
    lawdog, Oldgungeezer and combat like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I will look for the proof marks, where might they be. There is a small P on the butt but not part of the serial #.

Member #
    Liked
    4979 times
    Willie J ,my old 38 BSR is just a few hundred newer than yours. Mine is 747073 and has no Brit. marks except for the small p on the butt. Blue commercial finish and diamond checkerd grips and case colored hammer and hammer was how it shipped.
    Abslom estimated mine was shipped in late 40 or 41. It probably never made it to England.
    Cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    lawdog, Absalom, Waidmann and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No proof marks,grips are checkered with silver medallion, any thoughts on the parkerized finish, was this ever done from the factory. Still working on pictures, will have to wait till the daughter comes by to help the old man.

Member #
    Liked
    675 times
    As Cliff said, at this serial they still were more than half a year away from abandoning the commercial blue finish, so if yours is parkerized, that would be a refinish.

The Australians parkerized a lot of these in that general serial range in the 1950s, but there would be plenty of markings on the right side attesting to that. See below, 767114 originally shipped 5/12/41 and refurbished in Australia in 1954.

The factory would be very unlikely to have done the job on your gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Absalom; 01-11-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Waidmann, combat, WendyZXZ and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you all for the information, that helps.

Member #
    Liked
    10637 times
    Name:  SAcontract_red.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  2.85 MB The WWII era begins with serials above 685000, the first South African order. Somewhere around 990000 the slick grips and phosphate finish become universal. I am going to join the group that tends to believe yours was likely blued initially. Look on the inside and see if your grips are original. You might also look near the barrel serial for a B (blued). The P is for the military proof that the Brits delegated to S&W.

With BSRs one can not claim too many universal rules. There have been guns in the 770000 range found with U.S. Property marks. Other inconsistencies point toward the notion of serial numbers being reclaimed out of sequence. So you can't say anything with certainty without a factory letter which likely either indicate the British Purchasing Commission or its successor, other than of course the day it left S&W, finish, grips etc.
    Cliff, lawdog, WendyZXZ and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links