How to authenticate a U.S. Navy marked revolver
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How to authenticate a U.S. Navy marked revolver

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Seeing that a letter of authenticity is $100 and it seems quite apparent that this is most likely not a genuine Navy gun, I can definitely say that I learned my lesson on this one and I will probably sell it soon to free up my cash or trade it for another gun that I'd rather have. I guess I should always fall back on the old saying, " if it seems too good to be true, then it likely is".
    Taylor

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    I am finally back home with a solid Wifi connection so here are some pictures of the gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Cliff, Cliff, Waidmann and 3 others like this.
    Taylor

Member #
    Liked
    589 times
    Hm, yes, these don’t look real. Both the ordnance bomb and the W.B. on the butt seem too large and too nicely lined up. For comparison, attached the butt of a gun in the 945-range, not far before this one (ignore the Canadian property mark).

And the frame Navy inscription looks very different from the authenticated pantographed style as shown in Waidmann’s post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Waidmann, Wiregrassguy and Cliff like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10239 times
    I concur with Absalom. Also, his Canadian is more to type. Your Bomb simply looks wrong. I have seen some early British guns with the W.B. in a Box, maybe not quite so large. Someone between refinish and the art work put a lot of effort into this piece.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    It's a shame that someone got greedy and messed up a nice revolver to get more money out of it, but I guess that's reality. Well, another lesson learned and yet another reason why not to buy something unless you are knowledgeable about these things. I only knew that there were a smaller amount of the 1942 navy marked guns with the red paint. I should have backed away from the table and thought it over, but no sense in staying disappointed in it. It will either be a fun range gun or it will in on trade for another gun.
    needsmostuff likes this.
    Taylor

Member #
    Liked
    10239 times
    It likely a fully functional M&P with new coat of paint and some interesting tattoos. Its doubtful you will ever run across a questioner. All mine have shot decently.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Very true. I have 3 victory models in .38 special ( one being a DSC gun, and the other two are regular old U.S. Property G.H.D marked ones) and the previctory revolver I discussed earlier. I was amazed with how nice the mechanical condition of the fake navy revolver in that it was either overhauled when it got the stamps or this was a truely pristine condition gun when it got stamped. I was expecting it to have endshake in the cylinder or some sign that it had been used a bit, but all of the surfaces look good on the ejector star where the hand comes into contact. I will have to take the side plate off to if the insides look as nice. If the gun had a higher value, I'd send it off to turnbull restorations to have the fake markings taken off or filled in and refinished, but I bet that would get too pricey to be worth it on these guns.
    Last edited by TaylorRatliff1995; 11-30-2019 at 11:45 PM.
    Taylor

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41172 times
    If the gun had a higher value, I'd send it off to turnbull restorations to have the fake markings taken off or filled in and refinished, but I bet that would get too pricey to be worth it on these guns.
    These guns will never be valuable enough to have a Turnbull-like restoration make sense. He won't work on S&W guns anymore anyway.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    I figured that these wouldn't be worth it to be corrected by turnbull or some other place that does great work, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask them (no reply yet). I was unaware that he doesn't work on S&W guns when there are quite a few out there that are very valuable. What a shame. It is also a shame that a letter of authenticity is $100 and can take a couple months to get back. If it was $50 with a couple week turn around, sure I'd gamble a little more to see if my suspicions are correct, but at it's current price, it just seems like a waste of money to tell me something that I probably already know ( it's not a genuine navy gun). I understand that they have cornered the market as being the only place that really has all of this potential information for an exact gun, but I thought that is was only $30-$50 five or six years ago, or maybe I am mistaken on that.
    Taylor

Member #
    Liked
    6655 times
    Fake or Real that's the most "minty" looking Victory I've ever seen.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links