Smith 1905
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Smith 1905

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Smith 1905

I purchased a smith 1905 4th change lettered in original box. My concern is the bluing on the side is dark and light on the side plate. Same piece of metal, however
    different shades. I looked for stamping under the grips nothing. It is close to mint as I have seen. Any advise appreciated. I can post pics but it doesn't show well. Also
    not sure how to post pics.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    5106 times
    You can load pics directly from your computer. Click on the picture icon above. A popup says select image.click on that and pick the picture, select it then click on upload.
    Curt360 and jeepnut like this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Name:  IMG_0506.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  1.87 MBName:  IMG_0506.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  1.87 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by termite54 View Post
    I purchased a smith 1905 4th change lettered in original box. My concern is the bluing on the side is dark and light on the side plate. Same piece of metal, however
    different shades. I looked for stamping under the grips nothing. It is close to mint as I have seen. Any advise appreciated. I can post pics but it doesn't show well. Also
    not sure how to post pics.
    Thanks
    Cliff, combat and Curt360 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10393 times
    Hold the gun out in front of you with two hands. Now look down the sights. Can you see the difference in color now? Actually judging by the sideplate seam the bluing looks original but better photos would help.
    Boriqua likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thank you! will try to get better photos tomorrow.

Member #
    Liked
    577 times
    From what year is this gun?

I can’t see the sideplate shading issue you describe, but the sideplate is missing the logo, so I hope the gun letters between 1917 and 1936. If you take the sideplate off, there should be an assembly number on the back that should match the one in the yoke cut (when you open the cylinder; it’s different from the serial). That will tell you if the plate is original to this gun.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    The gun was shipped April 24, 1922. I have the letter from smith, and the logo is on the other side. if you look at the pics , u can see a dark and light blue on the revolver. hard to get in pics because u have to get it just right in the light. u see the almost straight line separating the bluing.
    lawdog and Curt360 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    577 times
    Quote Originally Posted by termite54 View Post
    The gun was shipped April 24, 1922. I have the letter from smith, and the logo is on the other side. if you look at the pics , u can see a dark and light blue on the revolver. hard to get in pics because u have to get it just right in the light. u see the almost straight line separating the bluing.
    Good, for a 1922 vintage no logo on the plate is correct.

Now I can see two possible candidates for the "straight line" you may be talking about. Is either the red or green arrow I inserted into the attached snip pointing at it? I initially took both to be reflections of the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cliff and Curt360 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Name:  IMG_0522.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  30.6 KB
    Cliff and combat like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times