Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Smith 1905

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Name:  IMG_0522.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  30.6 KB
    Cliff, combat, WendyZXZ and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Name:  IMG_0521.JPG
Views: 8
Size:  29.7 KB
    Cliff and WendyZXZ like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    You are correct with the arrows.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    The green arrow is on the line I am wondering about. Hard to believe it is refinished, It came with original box, the grips are serialized to the gun without a scratch or chip. However
    this bothers me to no end.

Member #
    Liked
    3512 times
    It could have happened at the factory. Someone over polished the blue on the side plate and "quality control" let it slip by and be sold to the public.
    Curt360 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    577 times
    The gun does indeed look pristine, the stocks brand-new and the case color on the trigger seems very vibrant.

This may just be one of those things. Not to overthink it, but I’d almost say that it is simply a factory deviation because nobody would go through all that trouble “faking” a pristine gun and then leave a visible oddity like that in place, especially on a common model.
    delcrossv and blitzen25cat like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5110 times
    Yep. Just take her out and go shooting.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    thanks for replies

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I’ll throw this out because I’ve seen something very similar...

In the interest of full disclosure, my actions have led to similar 'lines' on a blued surface...

Some time ago, I had a nice Spanish 28g round body upland game gun with a minor blemish in the bluing on the receiver. I rubbed the blemish very lightly with some Mothers and easily removed it -- the blemish was about the size of this 'o' and the area rubbed about the size of a penny. However, the scratch pattern (there’s always a scratch pattern, no matter what polish you use) in the area I treated was slightly different than the surrounding area --- thus creating a differential in sheen/reflectivity in the treated area -vs- the surrounding factory-polished area.

In short, if you looked in the right sort of lighting, there was a ‘line’ in the receiver bounding the treated area looking very much like that shown in your revolver.

The solution in my case was easy: I very lightly polished the remainder of the receiver to unify the scratch pattern to provide a uniform sheen/reflectivity across the entire surface.

This may or may not be your situation, but differential polishing on a blued surface can show-up as a 'line' in the bluing in the right lighting.

The solution for me was OK, but YMMV.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by 38wheel; 11-09-2019 at 07:03 AM.
    DocWyatt likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links