• 1 Post By delcrossv
  • 2 Post By Hondo44
  • 1 Post By Hondo44

Thread: Shooter 1891 22

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Shooter 1891 22

Sorry for posting about this before I've gotten it but I'm a little excited about it and I've got some questions. I've wanted one for a few years but I was always unwilling to spend money on a good one so I bought a shooter at a price I can live with. I love that it's a three digit serial and cant wait to see how it shoots.

That barrel assembly looks newer than the frame. Once I get it, where should I check for matching serial numbers?

Do I need to do anything with the empty screw hole by the serial number?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/835072841
    Last edited by chawk; 10-13-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    KZero and OzarkMarine like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4680 times
    Looks like the serial # on your 2nd model was altered by drilling out the first digit of the #. Might fly with the Feds, might not.
    Love the old gun.
    Cliff

Member #
    Liked
    10174 times
    ^ ditto.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    That never occurred to me.

Where can I find the other serial numbers? I'll give them a call and have them look it over to see if they match.

Member #
    Liked
    7775 times
    Fine looking pistol! Will it be safe to shoot with modern ammunition? If that is questionable, would perhaps standard velocity or CB caps be useable? As to the serial number ... can't see it as a big deal. Take the pistol and shoot it. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

Member #
    Liked
    5080 times
    Standard velocity should be fine. I'd avoid high speed loads, just to be cautious.
    jeepnut likes this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Serial #s on the latch and barrel are supposed to match. Also backside of the right grip.

These can be marked Model 1891 but none were made until 1893. Yours looks like a 2nd Model of 1905 since the recoil shields on both sides of frame are gone, the change from the 1st Model.
    jeepnut and Cliff like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    After looking at a lots of pics my gun doesn't look like either a 1st or 2nd. The recoil shield is round and normal on the first model the second one is actually a milled out recess. Mine has a recoil shield but it is milled flatter/thinner than the firsts. Seriously...look at it. It doesn't look like anything else.

It also has a one line barrel address whereas the rest of them seem to have a two line address.

I really want to get my hands on this one. Until then, research continues.

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Your right, the 2nd model has a groove milled in place of the shield. Yours looks like a 1st model with the shields filed off but no quite flush. They stick up about 1/16" off the frame surface. Made in 1903. The 3 digit number doesn't look defaced. The hole is too far away from the rest of the # to have eliminated a digit.
    Last edited by Hondo44; 10-14-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    Cliff likes this.

Links