Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Don Williams
  • 3 Post By Hondo44

Thread: Illustrated blow up of first edition Triple Lock

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Illustrated blow up of first edition Triple Lock

Does anyone have one of these that they would be willing to share? I have a first gen Triple Lock that a client sent me for some repair that has the wrong center pin, and I'd like to know the nomenclature of the various parts exclusive to this gun.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, and many thanks to Hondo44 for his information on the various differences in some items.
    Leo918 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1064 times
    Hi Don,

Welcome to the forum.

Triple Locks are my favorite, especially for their uniqueness.

The Mod 24 .44 spl Schematic is almost as good with a few corrections I list below with correct part names and show then in my photos.
    Found here: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...lvers-sw/24-sw

The Mod 24 .44 spl Schematic is almost as good with a few corrections I list below with correct part names and show then in my photos.
    Found here: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...lvers-sw/24-sw

Photo credit: Gun Parts Corp.

#0 NOT SHOWN IN SCHEMATIC – cyl hold open detent device; spring and plunger in the bottom of the yoke (Used on N Frames up to WWII).
    #1 Extractor Rod – TL difference: diameter = .266” vs. .242” for all other N frames. The Knob is removable for disassembly because part # 4 extractor rod collar (the seat for large extractor spring) is integral with the rod, not a separate part.
    # 2 Center Pin - TL difference: part #3 ctr pin spring mounts on the rear end of the ctr pin because it is spring tensioned to the front (that’s the reason there is no ‘divot’ in the recoil shield to cam the ctr pin forward when closing the cyl). Note: instead of an integral collar on the ctr pin, the triple lock ctr pin uses a tiny ‘E’ style spring clip and washer. The rear end of the ctr pin is larger. It's the same OAL 4.080” to 4.090” (depending on final fitting to the front lock) as later N frames. But the critical difference is; the rear .687” length of the TL pin is .020” larger diameter than the rest of the pin, .119”+/- and .143” on the end, (later pins are .115”+/- and .122” on the end).
    #3 Center Pin Spring
    #4 Extractor rod collar (the seat for large extractor spring) is integral to the ext rod on the TL.
    #5 Extractor spring
    #6 Gas ring – press fit in front of the cyl.
    #7 Cylinder
    #8 Extractor two alignment pins, press fit
    #9 Extractor assembly, often referred to as the extractor ‘star’ or ‘ratchet’, has a larger ctr hole in the star.
    #31 Yoke (called crane on Colt DA revolvers) – the TL 3rd or middle lock cam plate is mounted in the front of the yoke with a screw.
    #66 Locking bolt – TL difference: the TL front & middle locking bolts are one piece but includes a spring, plunger, and cross pin; the lower leg (middle lock bolt) being much longer to contact the cam plate in the yoke. It’s retained by a hole plug (cover) at the front of the shroud and two pins thru the extractor rod shroud as shown below instead of just one. This shows the 3rd (middle) lock parts, the main difference from all other N frames:

All the other parts of the TL are the same part names and listed at the link above (although not necessarily interchangeable with the TL due to slight dimensional differences). The post war Micro Click target sight shown in the schematic is of course different from the TL style pre war sight. Something not shown in the schematic is the cyl hold open detent pin and spring, a feature which the TL does have. It’s also common in several pre war hand ejectors especially N frames.

Hope this helps,
    Jim
    Last edited by Hondo44; 09-21-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    RKmesa, Wiregrassguy and 22MRF like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41073 times
    to the forums from the Wiregrass!
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1064 times
    Don,

There's a TL schematic posted here in post #5: http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...#post140509400

It's a little incomplete so my notes will clarify it:

619A – Locking bolt cover (hole plug), retained with a cross pin (not shown)
    632 - Center pin collar is a washer
    637 – Stock pin listed in legend as 637 pin (640 is a duplicated # in schematic)
    640 - Yoke stop detent plunger in legend & spring
    641 – Cyl stop plunger and spring
    663 - Locking bolts front and middle retained with a cross pin (not shown), (which is a housing for #664 a plunger, spring and another cross pin also not shown)
    664 – Locking bolt plunger, spring, with the internal cross pin (not shown)
    670 – E clip, not a washer
    Last edited by Hondo44; 09-23-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you so much sir, that's a big help!!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9904 times
    Welcome to the Smith & Wesson forums from Arizona Don. I really like your songs and have a bunch of your CDs.
    Leo @ Death Valley - S&WCA #2364

Links