Unique? 4th Change hand Ejector, Information Wanted
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Unique? 4th Change hand Ejector, Information Wanted

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Unique? 4th Change hand Ejector, Information Wanted

I picked this up at auction for cheap, The gold in the insignia and writing stood out to me, the serial# puts it as a 4th change hand ejector, but other than that I have no information, and I haven't found one with the gold in the stamping yet, not even a picture. Can you guys fill me in? Year or mfg or range thereof, it's in the 700K range. Also, if I were to move it along...what's a reasonable asking range?

Name:  DSC04029.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  3.03 MBName:  DSC04028.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  2.78 MBName:  DSC04027.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  2.35 MBName:  DSC04026.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  2.98 MBName:  DSC04025.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  2.61 MB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8363 times
    Not factory original, that's aftermarket gold fill... Brownells currently sells a product called Lacquer-stik, comes in gold, red, black. etc.

The popular product was Bonanza gold-fill inlay powder.

The gun is just a solid shooter grade gun, nothing special... It's missing the upper side plate screw which lowers the value, and it's unusual in that it looks to have a lanyard swivel on the butt, which was not standard on a 4th Change, and that being non-original can also affect value, but not as much for a shooter.

Concerns about the swivel being added after it left the factory... is how well it was installed, many amateurish jobs in drilling the lanyard hole illegally obfuscated the serial number on the butt frame. On guns from the factory, the s/n is spaced out to allow for the lanyard hole. Yours looks to be drilled forward of the s/n, which is usually an indicator of it being added after it left the factory.

Pricing depends on you location, our prices in CA are crazy high and very atypical, so I'll let someone else comment on selling price.
    Last edited by gunhacker; 08-21-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Political correctness: The doctrine fostered by the delusional liberals or the naïve, which attempts to promote the ideology that a turd is something that can be picked up and safely handled from the clean end.

Member #
    Liked
    9316 times
    It's a .38 S&W (Not .38 Special). Lack of stamps probably makes it a Canadian version of a BSR (38/200)- hence the lanyard loop. Prolly shipped during the war (early 40's). Get a new screw from Numrich or Brownells and have some fun.

BSR -British Service Revolver- they were chambered in .38 S&W
    Last edited by delcrossv; 08-21-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    Cliff, combat, Curt360 and 1 others like this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22992 times
    700's would be very late 1940's to Jul 1941.
    jeepnut and Cliff like this.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

Member #
    Liked
    101564 times
    Congrats! The revolver looks to be in pretty good shape. A great addition to any collection.
    jeepnut likes this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    3747 times
    An early "lend/lease" gun from WWII. Looks like correct grips and everything else except most of these guns were covered in British proof marks. You got a good pistol there with lots of S&W history surrounding it.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    72308 times
    I paid 300 for the one from 1919 and 225 for the rougher one. These are 38 Special but are very accurate and fun to shoot. So as said get the pllate screw and have fun shooting it.
    I have these two earlier versions, this one 1919
    Name:  IMG_3928.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  456.3 KB
    This one a little more use from 1917
    Name:  thumbnail5.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  161.6 KB
    Cliff, combat, KZero and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    9316 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepnut View Post
    I paid 300 for the one from 1919 and 225 for the rougher one. These are 38 Special but are very accurate and fun to shoot. So as said get the pllate screw and have fun shooting it.
    .38 Special or .38 S&W? Different cats.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    10643 times
    Less the gold fill and missing screw, your 1940 British service is in pretty good condition. These guns were commercial grade and were used initially to pay off a one million dollar debt incurred as the result of a failed light rifle project. If the serial in the grip is a match you have a desirable piece in the WWII collector market. It is likely not Canadian since it does not bear their property mark above the left grip, but check the butt and elsewhere for an arrow in a C stamp.

Many of the guns in the summer of 1940 went straight to units. The summer of 1940 was a very tough time for the Brits. The official cartridge was the .380 Rimmed Mark II, a .38 S&W case with a 175 grain bullet and more horsepower than granny's old top-break could handle. You can shoot .38 S&W or .38 Colt New Police all you care to.

Enjoy it!
    combat, delcrossv, jeepnut and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    72308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    .38 Special or .38 S&W? Different cats.
    True these are 38 Special but the prices are in same range in my area.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links