I guess a Canadian contract .455 from 1918
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: I guess a Canadian contract .455 from 1918

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    The backstrap markings are typical format for regimental markings. Striking through with a line was the way an armorer would cancel a previous mark when applying the new unit's initials. Regimental markings are notoriously hard to figure out at times because they changed over the years, regiments changed names or were amalgamated with other units and just to add to the confusion the unit armorer didn't always use the "official" unit designation. A very quick scan through Skennerton's The Broad Arrow the only CAM I could find was for the British Cameron Highlanders, but I believe the Canadians also had a Cameron Highlanders unit. OTC in a stamp often means Officer Training Corp, sort of the equivalent to a college ROTC. The EOTC could be something like Edmonton College OTC, just a swag on my part, But use by the Camerons during the war then transferred to a OTC post war would be a probable line of progression for a revolver, especially since post war they would have tried to standardize on the government issue sidearm rather than an outsourced piece.
    Hondo44 and lawdog like this.

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    CH bill... That information is very much appreciated! I thank you for taking the time to respond. Even if I'm not able to track them down, i gotta say, I love those markings.

I never really knew revolvers weren't classified as pistols... Good information. Now I'm intrigued and will have to look up the origins of the word "pistol".

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Hondo44, yes there are ports in the "compensater" at least I hope that's why it's there. The rifling is intact. It has been recessed into the front sight and either welded or soldered to the barrel. I'm not a fan but not going to attempt removing it. I read quickly on wiki. Is pistol not used to describe revolvers? I'm genuinely interested in the nomenclature and didn't find a rough and ready answer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Well now I wish I would have looked back... The pistol proclamation was a reference... I missed an opportunity to look like I knew more than I do. I try to take advantage of those..

Member #
    Liked
    1076 times
    Literally a pistol only chambers one load or cartridge at a time. Therefor true pistols are single shots and semi-autos. Revolvers of course chamber multiple loads at the same time (5, 6 most commonly, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc., over the years).

When revolvers were first invented, the most well known being the Colt Patterson 5 shot cap and ball and produced beginning 1836, the prevailing handguns were single shot pistols. Multiple 2 barrel, 2 shot configurations were called double barrels, (and any combination we can imagine, i.e., 4 shots called 4 shot pistols). The other well known revolvers of the period had multiple barrels mostly referred to by the trade name pepper boxes or revolving pistols.

Surprisingly, probably to emphasis their uniqueness, rifles with multi shot cylinders were correctly referred to as revolving rifles.

Anyway, as is common and usually the case with the English language, the misnomer pistol as applied to all handguns hung on for a long period, especially in layman's parlance. Even Colt advertised its revolvers as pistols late into the 19th century!

These days those knowledgeable of guns attempt to use correct, more accurate terminology than in yesteryear.

Hope that helps,
    Jim
    Last edited by Hondo44; 09-10-2019 at 01:38 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Appreciate that clarification Jim. Man i wish someone would make a modern revolving rifle. I know of the Rossi. And a company was modifying a Ruger revolver into a suppressed sniper rifle, correct? Man I'd love a 6-8 or 10 shit 357 rifle. Or get one of the franken rugers in 16" and make a stock, or a 12" with a brace.

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Not sure how to edit, but I meant 'shot' not 'shit' figure most got that though

Member #
    Liked
    1076 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Akmiah View Post
    Appreciate that clarification Jim. Man i wish someone would make a modern revolving rifle. I know of the Rossi. And a company was modifying a Ruger revolver into a suppressed sniper rifle, correct? Man I'd love a 6-8 or 10 shit 357 rifle. Or get one of the franken rugers in 16" and make a stock, or a 12" with a brace.
    Fairfax Firearms is your best option: Revolving Rifle Prices - Fairfax Firearm Repair LLC

I don't know if they make what you want but all of their's are modern made both single and double action, with several choices. They'll also give you an estimate to make exactly what you want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links