59 series complete disassembly thread writeup w/pics
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 59 series complete disassembly thread writeup w/pics

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, you did a terrific job! Really professional approach, Thanks!
    Can I guess that is quite applicable also to 6906 model?
    Have you any particular hint for the 6906?

I'm "starving" to read your next chapter about the top slide.

Thank you again.

Take care,

Cirodi

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hey thanks Jim, what does that spring do if you don't mind me asking? I'm constantly learning new things about my gun, this being my first firearm and a great one at that.
    Last edited by prsabordo; 07-23-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Jim
    Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Quote Originally Posted by prsabordo View Post
    Hey thanks Jim, what does that spring do if you don't mind me asking? I'm constantly learning new things about my gun, this being my first firearm and a great one at that.
    You did a great job withe your write up

These are just quick and dirty pictures with a brief description

The first picture shows just about the proper position of how the trigger should sit in the V groove on the front of the drawbar.

When the trigger play spring is broken, missing or not adjusted properly, it will allow the hooks on the top of the trigger. That should normally sit in the V groove to jump out over the V groove on the drawbar. The hooks will ride over the top of the drawbar close to as is in the picture. That is why you hear the popping or clicking sound. If the trigger play spring is not working as it should.

If you pull the trigger with a screwed up trigger play spring. The hooks are pulled down from the top of the drawbar. into the V groove. With the spring tension from the drawbar spring. The drawbar is under the tension. And that causes the clicking/popping noise of the hooks slamming home into the V groove. The trigger play spring just keeps tension on the hook portion of the trigger so they will stay in the V groove & not jump out over the top portion on the drawbar.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks Jim, another question though. Does this spring reduce play in single action because i noticed in single action there is about 1in pull before it stops and actually engages the mechanisms to fire the gun, its hard to describe and i hope this makes sense but is this normal? I heard some people refer it to trigger reset play?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This thread was superb in illustrating how to disassemble and re assemble the Smith and Wesson Mod. 659 frame section but I am having one heck of a time trying to remove the slide ambidextrous safety and firing pin with spring assembly. Anybody know how to do it? I'd sure appreciate some helpful instruction!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Praire, the write up is in the gunsmith forum if you are still wondering how to do it.

Member #
    Liked
    2797 times
    I do not own a 59, heck I don't own ANY bottom feeders, but excellent write up.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks kcq1, really appreciate it. I made another thread write up for the top slide but it wasn't as good because i lacked tools and i guess from this thread and all the pics i posted, they limited me to 25 pics so i had to skip on some things lol. Hopefully it is still good enough to get stickyed.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

59 series complete disassembly thread writeup w/pics

prsaborodo,

Thanks for an Excellent writeup with Great photos.

Tomorrow, I will be picking up a 3rd Gen S&W (model 1066) that I just purchased. This pistol has the clicking trigger that Jim talked about as he explained the trigger play spring.

I am now looking forward to getting into this pistol and seeing if I can figure out what is going on. If I had not found your write up, I would have to ship this pistol off to a good S&W gunsmith for repairs. I am hopeful that with the information that you and Jim have provided in this thread I will be able to resolve the issues with this pistol.

Thanks again!

Update 8/28/2011:

I just finished going thru my 1066
    . With the help of this writeup and the comments that Jim added re: the trigger play spring, I was able to find the problem very easily. I had ordered the trigger play spring and rivet from S&W so I had those parts on hand. I didn't install the new spring, I just bent the ears of the old spring forward a little so they hold the hooks of the trigger into the "V" on the drawbar. Everything is working just fine now, no more trigger clicking.

I will see how long this fix lasts. If the problem re-occurs, I'll replace the trigger play spring with the new one that
    sent to me.

Thanks again, prsaborodo for the wonderful writeup and very helpful pictures and also to Jim for the explanation of the trigger play spring function.
    Last edited by Mulie; 08-28-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Neb
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can i replace the stock trigger in my M&P 9mm with the Pro series trigger??
    Neb

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links