Gunsmith reliability question?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Gunsmith reliability question?

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    I’m very fortunate that my gunsmith is one of the few masters of the trade remaining. His specialty is restoration of high end double barrels. Could care less about working on a revolver these days. He has a long time assistant who has worked for him for 30 years and is a very good smith himself. Thankfully both are long time friends and if I take something in that requires the master, he will do it personally I think as more of a favor to me. I never ask how long it’s gonna take because I know he will do the job when he can fit it in to his restorations. Sometimes I’ll have my gun back in 2-3 days. Sometimes a month. I accept his time frame because nothing leaves his bench unless it’s perfect. I recently took him a model 14 with a damaged barrel I purchased cheap. Found a like new 8 3/8” barrel I wanted to have installed. Told me the factory machining on the new barrel was acceptable but he would prefer to re machine the forcing cone before replacing. Took 2 months, but now I have a target gun capable of shooting groups at 25 yards that are one ragged hole. Sadly it’s a rare day when I’m up to the gun’s potential but it was worth the wait and money to have a gun of this quality.
    Injunbro and gearchecker like this.

Member #
    Liked
    17690 times
    Your post isn't very specific.

At the time you agreed to service was the timeline Jan 2020? If so, then you knew up front that this was gong to be a delayed project. Or was it something else?

You say that things have now become "rude" and the gunsmith would prefer to simply return the gun. When a situation like that occurs it's often because the customer has become a pain in the ass. When you say "I called but he keeps on putting off the services". Does that mean you've been repeated calling the guy? That's enough for many gunsmiths to tell you to come get your gun.

Options:
    Stop calling and be patient.
    Reacquire your gun.
    Injunbro likes this.

Len
    Member #
    Liked
    1807 times
    Since we are talking gun smiths over the years I have used a few for custom work. The first being Flaig's in Pittsburgh that was around 50 years ago, the two most outstanding smiths was Frank Wells for rifles and Andy Horvath for handguns. i only wish I still owned all of the guns they built for me.
    Injunbro likes this.
    Len

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Your post isn't very specific.

At the time you agreed to service was the timeline Jan 2020? If so, then you knew up front that this was gong to be a delayed project. Or was it something else?

You say that things have now become "rude" and the gunsmith would prefer to simply return the gun. When a situation like that occurs it's often because the customer has become a pain in the ass. When you say "I called but he keeps on putting off the services". Does that mean you've been repeated calling the guy? That's enough for many gunsmiths to tell you to come get your gun.

Options:
    Stop calling and be patient.
    Reacquire your gun.
    No I really haven’t called. When I talked politely, the gunsmith acted like the problem.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcat6 View Post
    I used to know a smith that would put a customers' gun back to the end of the line if they kept bugging him.
    I don’t bug him, I have called like 4 times the past 4 months, but he acts like a fu(k!ng @$$! The gunsmith keeps putting off the end date and I felt threatened and/or insulted when he said “it’s like I’m taking your gun to Mexico!” “You call like 800,000 times!” He acts really nuts. I literally act polite and say polite things to him like have a nice day.

Member #
    Liked
    17690 times
    So... the story morphs from "I haven't really called" to the next post "4 times", then in PM "4 or 5 times". Can we round it up to a half dozen or more calls?

Gun owner: "I don’t bug him"
    Gunsmith: “You call like 800,000 times!”

I think it's fair to say there's a difference of perspective.

You want your gun back, I'm sure everyone here gets it. Gunsmiths can't gunsmith on the phone. Also consider he probably just hung up from someone who has called him twice as much as you. Unless you no longer want him to do the work (reacquire your gun), I'd just relax and wait for him to tell you the work is complete. Good luck sir.
    Injunbro likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    19560 times
    There's the old adage, especially true when it comes to getting something fixed
    You can have it
    Fast
    Good
    Cheap

Pick any two.

At best, if the smith refuses to return your gun and/or refund the money, then an attorney should be consulted.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links