My First Journey on the Inside....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: My First Journey on the Inside....

Member #
    Liked
    37636 times

My First Journey on the Inside....

..... of a S&W revolver. I have removed a few sideplates and hosed out the internals with gun scrubber, then lubed & reassembled, but never gone further.
    Yesterday I opened up my 617. Took out the main spring and the rebound slide. This was as far as I intended to go.
    Name:  DCDA73EA-C96E-4203-A7DF-D07946B5C8C4.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  1.68 MB
    I put mothers where the rebound slide contacts the frame and slid it back and forth quite a bit, but the trigger was kind of in the way so I removed it. What the heck, the hammer just lifts out at this point so I pulled it out too and while I was that far I removed the thumb piece and remove the bolt too. (is that correct term”. Saw a few spots that could be smoother but I have no intention of messing with sear surfaces. I am ordering a set of polishing stones that run from 320 up to 1200 grit (320, 400, 600, 800, 1000 & 1200 grit)
    Inside a S&W revolver wasnt near as scary as I thought it would be. I made a little tool to reinstall the rebound slide spring and have since made another I think will be better. I watched 3 or 4 YouTube videos before beginning. I figure If I am going to own a bunch of them, I might as well figure out how they come apart & go back together, and I did get it back together. Had no parts left over so apparently I didn’t improve the design
    Last edited by jonesy814; 01-22-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5173 times
    I remember taking my first S&W revolver apart. I was scared to death, but shooting competition almost demanded one learn the inter workings of it. Fun stuff.
    Paul

STUPID WILL GET YOU KILLED

Member #
    Liked
    18806 times
    You might as well get Kuhnhausen's book and the proper tool for the rebound slide
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    37636 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby'sDad View Post
    You might as well get Kuhnhausen's book and the proper tool for the rebound slide
    Started off in 2012 with, I'm going to buy a pistol. Just one for home defense & plinking..... Mid 2013, now with 3 or 4 semi auto handguns, 2 calibers, as well as an AR & a 15-22, I acquire my first revolver. A S&W 38 M&P, made in 1955..... 3 or 4 months later I'm thinking that I now have to stock 38 special I might as well get a 357 magnum too so I get a 4 inch 686 no dash.............3 or 4 months later I'm thinking, "Wow, all this ammo I'm shooting is getting expensive. Maybe I should learn to reload.....April 2014 reloaded first round of ammo. Need more dies, bullets, Primers and powder. . . . . April 2014 to now.... Have added another dozen S&W revolvers, more bottom feeders in different calibers, more dies, bullets, primers and powder ........ Jan 2020 .... Hmmmm, maybe I should learn how to take these apart . . . need to order shop manual, Rebound slide tool, Arkansas stones, desktop lighted magnifier......... does it ever end??
    Last edited by jonesy814; 01-23-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    9204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby'sDad View Post
    If you get the big Wheeler screwdriver kit it comes with the bit to do that
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    2659 times
    Jonesy,

I hate to tell you this, but:

Ur screwed now.

You have voyaged to...the nether regions.

Should have let sleeping dogs lie. Not explored. Not ventured, or wondered.

U can’t go back. Twilight zone for U now.

Ask me how I know.

The Ruger Super Redhawk was working perfectly! Till I pulled the trigger group out.

Crap! That tiny, tiny spring. Who knew! It had the power of a Saturn 5 rocket!

I had no appetite to move my 5 ton reloading bench. Moved from the place. Everything out of my shop. It traveled to another dimension. Or Ruger equipped it with a cloaking shield.

Finally bought a replacement. Ruger sent two freebies. With an admonition.

“Keep your non-gunsmith activities to oiling. Leave the rest to the creators.”

Then, I had to fiddle with the .22 cal Browning. I am a slow learner.

Don’t make Rod Serling have to pay you a visit!

Or Master Yoda.
    Don't be so open minded your brains fall out.

Member #
    Liked
    10483 times
    One of the main reasons I prefer S&W revolvers is there ease of complete disassembly,which has not changed much in 100 years. Not that they require much teardown or repair..but when they do..it is not rocket science.
    We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Member #
    Liked
    14006 times
    Hey Jonesey....I have a Wheeler set I'll sell ya....cheap....come to Fredericktown, Ohio and I'll give ya a deal. pm me for details? Thanks!
    jeepnut and Oldgungeezer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    20880 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway500 View Post
    One of the main reasons I prefer S&W revolvers is there ease of complete disassembly,which has not changed much in 100 years. Not that they require much teardown or repair..but when they do..it is not rocket science.
    Sort of like who to vote for in 2020.......
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    18498 times
    I rather take apart a Colt Government model.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links