Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By m37ral
  • 1 Post By Injunbro

Thread: Screw size of old style rear sight- N frame

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Screw size of old style rear sight- N frame

Picked up a nice 44 29-3, 8 3/8. It had a scope installed on it, and the topstrap drilled with 4 holes. The original sight attachment hole was drilled and tapped oversized for the mount. I need the screw size for the original sight leaf screw so I can see if there even is such a thing as a helicoil that small so I can fix it. Luckily the holes will be under the sight.Name:  DSC01245 (Small).JPG
Views: 36
Size:  108.6 KB Thanks
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    61145 times
    6-48 is standard, those look more like 8-32. A good gunsmith could weld them up & re-tap (no I don't want the job, I'm retired).
    jeepnut likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    11774 times
    I've never seen helicoils in these sizes but I've never done a search for them either. It wouldn't be too hard to Loctite some screws in the holes and then drill and tap for the original size sight screw. I would start by chamfering the holes so that the sight will sit flat in the recess.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    OK, now I have three answers. 6-48 here, 4-48 on another forum, and I got a 3-56 screw from a local guy- It fits the sight perfectly, sure is small. I did find some 3-56 helicoils.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    You could just over size the hole in the sight to the over size thread if you can find a screw that will work

Links