Blued finishes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Blued finishes

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Blued finishes

How different does the rust blue and charcoal blue finishes look?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Does rust blue look deeper black in color than the charcoal blue or the other way around? Can rust blue be a high polished finish like royal blue?

Member #
    Liked
    2779 times
    I dont know if this is helpful but ... I did a slide for a 1911 in Mark Lee's express blue which while not difficult .. was not express. What I got was a very black black. This was soon after I finished and it remained black but I could never figure out how to get that depth you see in some of those awesome old smiths. Cant explain it but I am sure you know what I mean .. the bluing that looks so deep its under glass. I may have not done something properly after I did the bluing but I did get a nice even black.

Name:  blue slide 2.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  374.7 KB

Name:  blue slide 1.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  442.3 KB

Name:  blue slide 3.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  458.1 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    38213 times
    The amount of polishing done to the underlying metal has a lot to do with the brightness and look of depth to the finish. An example is the Highway Patrolman. It got the same finish as other revolvers but was polished one level less than other revolvers to give it that satin blue finish
    Boriqua likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2779 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    The amount of polishing done to the underlying metal has a lot to do with the brightness and look of depth to the finish. An example is the Highway Patrolman. It got the same finish as other revolvers but was polished one level less than other revolvers to give it that satin blue finish
    ah .. so if I had buffed the heck out of the slide BEFORE doing the bluing I would have gotten a deeper looking finish? I am certain at some point before I pass I will do another so it great info. All I did was give it a proper cleaning to insure I got an even finish but I didnt polish to a smooth surface.
    jonesy814 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    38213 times
    In Patrick Sweeney's book, "1911, The First Hundred Years" He recounts how the military wasn't satisfied with Colts initial production rate. Colt was polishing the 1911's for the military to just as fine a degree as they were their finest commercial offerings. This military didn't need or want this so instead of going through 5 progressively finer buffing operations, they only did 3 which resulted in a darker more matte finish
    I have never blued anything so don't think I know something. I am just passing on some tid bits I have read from what I feel are reliable sources
    KZero and Boriqua like this.

Member #
    Liked
    66114 times
    I rust blued these with Brownells rust blue solution. Did them on the kitchen stove.

delcrossv, Boriqua and jonesy814 like this.
    I'm Mr Bad Example, take a look at me.

Member #
    Liked
    9382 times
    ^^^ Cool grips on the Broomhandle. I have a daughter that would love that.
    bearcat6 likes this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    20880 times
    Old Smiths are Parkerized which in slang terms is rust blue. In reality it's a heated salt bath bluing. Not something to do at home by a long shot.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    2779 times
    That broom handle IS very cool !! I was able to do most of my blue in the shed except for the heat up in the oven between applications. it was a while ago so I cant remember the exact procedure but it wasnt difficult .. just time consuming but it was fun! The really only trouble spot was removing the Park that was on the gun. once I got the vinegar solution right it came right off.

Now that I read about the polishing part .. I want to do another but I dont have anything to do it on. Hmmmmm trip to my local used gun emporium?
    bearcat6 and jonesy814 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links