grip checkering redo for the worn spots
    Member #
    South Fork, PA ten miles from Johnstown and 90 miles east of Pittsburgh
    Liked
    656 times

grip checkering redo for the worn spots

Can anyone tell me what checkering tools I would need to enhance some of the worn Magna grips I have. I just want to go over some of the worn checkering and re-cut it to make it sharper.

Member #
    Liked
    5983 times
    I have a Dembart Hand tool with 2 or 3 cutters. Call Brownells and ask one of the techs. Can't remember what cutter I used. It is painstaking.

When the stocks (grips) are worn realize that it is like peaks and valleys. When worn the peaks are gone (wood loss) so even cutting the valleys the peaks on the worn spot will not be the same

You also need to strip the old finish and apply a new finish. I have refinished several sets of grips, they are better but still not like new. To have someone do it is (to me) not worth the price for two pieces of wood.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...c53d0ffb9010bd
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    South Fork, PA ten miles from Johnstown and 90 miles east of Pittsburgh
    Liked
    656 times
    Thanks, I'll try Brownells. I've refinished stocks before, I usually use American Walnut stain where needed and I prefer several coats of light tongue oil over varnish or lacquer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    58340 times
    The main thing is get the correct tool w/ correct # of threads per inch.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Links