Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Injunbro
  • 1 Post By chawk

Thread: Ejector rod troubles/center pin

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Ejector rod troubles

I took my 1931 .22 outdoorsman apart for a cleaning (https://www.smithandwessonforums.com...tdoorsman.html). The first sign of trouble came when trying to unscrew the ejector rod. It was waaaaay too difficult to unscrew. I had to give it everything I had to get it to come off. Now when I put it back together I can finger tighten it to snug but anything past that, still just using my fingers, I can get it to break loose and become free spinning again. To put it another way, while using my fingers it goes tighten...tighten...tighten...loose. Obviously this causes problems when assembling and operating the gun. When finger tight and installed it wont press back on the bolt enough to allow the hammer to clear it.

1)The first few threads on the rod look a bit screwed up.

2)The spring doesn't sit nicely on the center pin. One coil always finds it's way up onto the rod.

3)It is very difficult for me to press on the center pin and get it to move. I usually have to press it against a piece of wood or something.

I would like to try to remove the center pin from the ejector rod and give it a clean to see why it is so difficult to move but I don't know how to take it apart. I've never taken a double action apart before so this is a good learning experience for me. Everything else seems to be in good shape.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info or a better explanation please let me know.

Last edited by chawk; 10-18-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7867 times
    In which direction did you unscrew it??

On the early ones, it was a right handed thread, and then S&W changed it to left hand threads around 1959.

Finding replacement parts is going to be a tall order.
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Political correctness: The doctrine fostered by the delusional liberals or the naļve, which attempts to promote the ideology that a turd is something that can be picked up and safely handled from the clean end.

Member #
    Liked
    57802 times
    Threads are stripped out. Unless you know someone good @ spray welding & re0cutting threads finding replacement parts is needed. For the future: Instead of dismantling a gun removing the grips & soaking it in good penetrating oil for a few days usually works (not WD-40).
    ussmanlovede36 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Not what I wanted to hear. My gun will be out of commission, maybe because of me. So I can be on the lookout, what models would have the equivalent ejector rod?

How about this?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1405500
    Last edited by chawk; 10-18-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    57802 times
    I'd call them 1st, they used t be really helpful but I haven't bought anything in a while. Also www.jackfirstgun.com might have one.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Problem Fixed! The center pin was hard stuck into the ejector rod and couldn't move freely. I had to pound it out and file down the inside of the ejector rod where it was binding. Now it moves freely and I can tighten the extractor rod properly. Everything is back together and much smoother than it was before. No buggered screws, no broken parts, and I learned a lot about my gun. It took forever but this was a good experience.

Thanks everyone.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23760 times
    Glad you solved this, but you would not expect this part to suddenly start binding. Was it dirty, galled with wear or bent?

For future reference, a useful tool:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod26886.aspx
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    The extractor rod was tight right under those bright threads. It was tight enough that I had to pound on the center pin for the entire length of the extractor rod to get it out. Even for that last 1/4 inch. I took a small round file to the inside of the extractor rod in just that area. A little lube and the center pin now moves freely. Nothing binds and everything is straight. I don't know if I caused this problem or if it was already there by the previous owner but everything is much smoother and easier to operate than it was before I took it apart and gave it a clean/lube.
    gunhacker likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7867 times
    Good for you! You ducked a bullet, as finding one of the old "right hand thread" ejector rods would have been quite a feat.
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Political correctness: The doctrine fostered by the delusional liberals or the naļve, which attempts to promote the ideology that a turd is something that can be picked up and safely handled from the clean end.

Links