• 1 Post By Boriqua
  • 8 Post By Boriqua
  • 4 Post By Boriqua

Thread: Need help with 686 with a nasty hitch

Member #
    Liked
    317 times

Need help with 686 with a nasty hitch

I have had my 686 plus now for about 6 months. It has about 700 rds through it. and I have dry fired it a bunch.

Still.... I have this hitch near the end of the stroke that is killing accuracy. I have a few rugers and thought it just might be a Smith thing but a buddy came over with some of his smiths and they dont exhibit this sever hitch. While his are heavy .. it pulls through smooth. I dont mind heavy .. its the hitch that no matter how hard I grip wants to move the sight right.

I tried a spring kit but hated the feel and it caused light strikes so I took it out. It didnt solve the problem and I didnt really think it would.

If I open the cylinder and pull back on the cylinder release the action is rough but ... I dont get the heavy lump (hitch) to get over. Its smooth but heavy and aside from the fact that it feels a little rough .. it feels like my buddy's smiths. Its perfect and where I hope to get close to.

Recently I took a lupe and took a close look at the star. It was a mess with metal shavings poking up so I cleaned it up a touch and added some oil to the star. Somewhat better but still ... not great.

I am not sure what my next steps are? I was going to open her up today and just do a light polish on mating parts but my feeling is while it will certainly take out the rough it wont help with the Hitch. The hitch is pretty bad. Your pulling through and then its like hitting a wall.

any suggestions on what to try? This is not just going to work itself out.
    Cliff likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    I had the exact problem with a 686+ 2.5" I bought earlier this year. Like you, I traced the problem to the machining/fitting of the star/hand interaction. This is a critical area for the proper timing of the gun, so it's definitely a gunsmith fix. It's almost impossible to get a clean double action break with this issue. I did find side pressure on the trigger had a significant effect, making it worse one way, and much better the other.

I had intended to send mine back to S&W, but while trolling it around a gun show earlier this summer, I ended up accepting a ridiculously high offer for it...
    "The welfare of the people has always been the alibi of tyrants." Camus

Member #
    Liked
    57924 times
    The problem is either a rough spot on the star or hand that turns it, it needs to be polished smooth. If for some reason you polish the action inside don't touch the sear. By the way replacing springs is the last ditch for a smooth action, never the 1st.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Thank you for the help guys.. After nearly 6 months I think I solved it. I didnt wait for responses since I am a born tinker anyway and just finished putting it back together. It is now wonderful!!

I had taken a very light stoning to the star before but you really cant get inside the ratchets but I did the best I could with a small triangular stone. It was better but still not good so I opened her up.

With it open and looking right in the slot where the hand engages the ratchet and pulling the trigger slowly I could see that the timing was spot on and the hand turned the ratchet just fine but it was on the final release just at the end where the hand breaks free from the notch that it was getting hung up.

I pulled out the hand and the edges were sharp enough to cut. I very lightly took a very fine stone to the flats and then just barely broke the sharp corners with a single pass. Then I put a buffing wheel on my dremel with a little green rouge and went at the area of interaction. The rouge wont remove much but it does a nice job of smoothing everything out. The edges are of course still there just not sharp.

After I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out the hand spring I got her back together and .. .now it feels like a revolver should feel. Whew .. When I couldnt figure out how to get the hand back in there was a moment of panic but all seems well and I will run it to the range later today or tomorrow morning.
    KZero, jonesy814, Rodan and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Finally got out to the range.
    So first ... it still works!! Woohoo ... I got it back together right!
    Second .. that was indeed the issue. The hitch and funky trigger pull I have been living with is now gone, replaced by a smooth trigger pull. I was killing it at the range today out to 25 yds.

I am not new to revolver shooting but havent owned a smith in probably 8-10 years. I have several Rugers though that I shoot regularly. I like my Rugers but when I saw a fair deal on a 686+ Talo I decided to jump. Love the unfluted cylinder, but the grips were worthless to me.

At first I thought .. ok .. maybe this is just what Smith triggers feel like but I have had a 686 and a 629 in the past and didnt remember them being so awful. I was a killer shot with that 629.

Still I struggled through the first 200-300 rds through the Talo and it was still awful. I was about to sell it when I asked a buddy to come by with some of his smiths. Hmmmm they felt great .. so it wasnt a normal Smith trigger I had and something was wrong.

Well I am here to tell anyone looking .. that little bit of fluff and buff at the star and hand and I mean just a touch .. and its all better.

Member #
    Liked
    57924 times
    Now how about a set of Altamont grips to dress her up? www.altamontco.com
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    Now how about a set of Altamont grips to dress her up? www.altamontco.com
    The gun came with the Altamont 3-5-7 grips. They were cool looking as all get out but the back, up high where your web goes, is squared off and not rounded so after a handful of cylinders it was causing some pain in the bone at my thumb. They were also not quite cut back far enough or didnt fade to zero enough in the area that is affected by using a speed loader.

It was a bear to try and use any speedloader with them but the 5 star worked best. I sold off the 3-5-7 grips which was a killer since the gun looked so very good with them .. but its a shooting gun so they left.

Right now I have a bantam rubber hogue on my 3" but I am looking very hard for several weeks at the ahernds offerings!! The rubber is "ok" but the gun just screams for a nice set of grips.

Now just to decide on which grips .. Boot, Retro combat or banana ....

Member #
    Liked
    26684 times
    Glad to hear you got it smoothed out. As far as grips go, there are a lot of good looking grips on Ebay that are made in Thailand. I have a few sets and a couple of them are the most comfortable of any I have ever shot. I had the real dark ones that are on the M15 in this picture on my 4 inch 686, and they felt comfortable even with full power magnums. The lighter ones on the M64 also have a good feel. They run $35-50 and take about 3 weeks to arrive but I have been happy with all I have bought. All the guns in this picture are wearing Thai grips
    Name:  028F3943-177C-4269-897E-30252FA55A7A.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  317.6 KB

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    Glad to hear you got it smoothed out. As far as grips go, there are a lot of good looking grips on Ebay that are made in Thailand. I have a few sets and a couple of them are the most comfortable of any I have ever shot. I had the real dark ones that are on the M15 in this picture on my 4 inch 686, and they felt comfortable even with full power magnums. The lighter ones on the M64 also have a good feel. They run $35-50 and take about 3 weeks to arrive but I have been happy with all I have bought. All the guns in this picture are wearing Thai grips
    Name:  028F3943-177C-4269-897E-30252FA55A7A.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  317.6 KB
    Great looking grips!! I dont know why I didnt think to look at the thai offerings. I have them on 3 rugers and love them .. I would have loved them at double the price. perfect in my hand and comfortable with all ammo. Hmmmmmmm

and they were about $35 shipped .. well off to ebay!!

Links