s&w 6946 wont fire without mag installed?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mrerick
  • 1 Post By StrawHat
  • 1 Post By pat

Thread: s&w 6946 wont fire without mag installed?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

s&w 6946 wont fire without mag installed?

I see in this pistol the mag needs to be in to fire the gun .So if you want to hand feed in a round and fire without the mag in you could not.
    I see this is controlled by a small bar on the frame that gets pushed up when the mag is in. I dont think there will come a time where I will need to manually fire this pistol with the mag out but I would like to be able to do so . So my question is can this be changed to fire without the mag in ? All my other auto's fire without the mag .The little bar in the frame seems to disconnect the trigger when it is not pushed up.Is there a way to modify it to fire with mag out? Does the bar that needs to be up to engage the trigger have another function other than disconnecting the trigger? Well that is enough questions for now and if I am rambling on you can say so ..thanks Pat

Member #
    Liked
    39106 times
    I can't answer for your 6946, but there are several semis out there that have the mag disconnect. My Browning High Power used to have it - I took it out for 2 reasons, (1) due to the placement, the trigger release rubbed on the mag itself so the trigger was harder and grittier than it needed to be, and (2) I didn't see it as a safety feature.

With the mag disconnect in, you can't do an effective tactical reload (leave the last round in the chamber when you change mags - eliminates the need to release the slide since it's already in battery when you swap mags. If you have 10+1, and the +1 is in the pipe, then fire 10. #11 is in the pipe and the gun is ready to receive a full 10-round mag.). The benefit of the tactical reload is that even if there is a hiccup in the reload process, you still have one round to fire if you need to.

If I had to guess, the disconnect shouldn't affect anything else as it is likely something that's commonly removed. Just know removing it will likely void whatever warranty you have in the gun.
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    It is the ejector that has to be up to fire .So it is a trigger disconnect and ejector.When in battery the ejector is held up by the mag . It stays up all the time if the mag is in .It also remains up when the pistol is cycling.So if it could be kept up (the ejector) with the mag out it would still fire fine and the trigger would not be disconnected.Is there a way to keep the ejector up all the time ? But you would need to push it down to get the slide back on . Seems as you would have to look a bit further down the linkage to solve this ..Ok time to go ....My head hurts ha ha ha

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3193 times
    Don't know about your pistol but have read were disconnect has been removed . Goggle and sure archived threads will be found on the subject, my 5906 has disconnect and not messing with it.
    Last edited by jb59; 09-26-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23881 times
    Understand that the "magazine disconnect" is considered a "safety feature" of your pistol.

If you remove a "safety feature" from a gun, you necessarily take on additional risk and liability. You're talking about modifying a firearm and the altering manufacturer design (whether inconsequential or significant) can cause you all kind of problems later on.

I would recommend you do one of two things. Either load one into a magazine, insert it into the gun, chamber and shoot it, or get another firearm without a magazine safety. In the long run it will be much less risky, less potentially expensive and would leave more piece of mind that an accident could not be blamed on you.

Of course, you can do what ever you want with your gun...
    Injunbro and Thewelshm like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    3242 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdismukes View Post
    ...With the mag disconnect in, you can't do an effective tactical reload (leave the last round in the chamber when you change mags - eliminates the need to release the slide since it's already in battery when you swap mags. If you have 10+1, and the +1 is in the pipe, then fire 10. #11 is in the pipe and the gun is ready to receive a full 10-round mag.). The benefit of the tactical reload is that even if there is a hiccup in the reload process, you still have one round to fire if you need to...
    With or without the disconnect, in order for this scenario to work, you need to be able to count to (magazine capacity minus one) ALL THE WHILE you are being shot at. Most can’t count that high at the range!!

Kevin
    Injunbro likes this.
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    yes I will probably leave it alone.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hello
    After my head stopped hurting I figured how to remove the mag disconnect .It required a complete slide disassembly and rear sight removal to remove the Ejector Depressor Plunger and spring(#12 and 13 on the schematic)Name:  num.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  98.4 KB Now my head doesn't hurt ha ha thanks Pat
    Last edited by pat; 09-27-2019 at 09:08 PM. Reason: change part #
    KZero likes this.

Links