• 3 Post By Bob K
  • 8 Post By Injunbro
  • 1 Post By jonesy814

Thread: My 66 Went Weird on Me

Member #
    Liked
    7767 times

My 66 Went Weird on Me

I am not the dullest knife in the drawer. I've been shooting and enjoying S&W revolvers since 1980. I've had a few broken hammer noses but nothing more serious.

Last night I was fooling with my 66-2. I has for years had a set of S&W TG's sans aluminum washer that fit well and looked good. Unfortunately, since I broke my left hand, I've not been able to stand the recoil. So I switched to some Pachmayr presentation grips that a fellow board member kindly sent my way. Work great!

I decided to swap that pair of Pachmayr grips with a set that was on my 19-3. Of course all fit just fine. Only rub ... while the 19-3 functioned just fine ... the 66-2 all of a sudden developed signs of push off! SA got incredibly light. No real change w/ DA. Checked and strain screw was properly tight. Took grips off and all returned to normal. Perfectly normal SA/DA w/o grips. So ... swapped everything back to as it was ... everything now works perfectly.

I have just now been cocking the 66. Listening I can hear everything in the revolver moving as expected in cocking, releasing the hammer, lowering the hammer and then letting the trigger reset. In every way it sounds identical to what I hear when I do the same routine w/ the 19-3 and my 15-4.

What gives? Anybody got any ideas? I've never in my life opened up a S&W revolver. If that is necessary I'm going to first have to buy the proper tools. I've always taken good care of my revolvers. Do I need to flush the 66 out with break fluid or WD-40. I looked in my box and have some Balistol but it is not aerosol.

I am now relaxing watching a Randolph Scott movie and chilling out with a "Bomb Pop!" My little four year old g.son loves those things! Is there anything I need to do for my revolver? Sincerely. bruce.
    Thewelshm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    13809 times
    I would think that the Pach. grips are somehow interfering with the hammer reaching the full cock position, on the 66. There must be something different about the M-66, than with the M-15 and M-19. Maybe the hammer slot in the frame is blocked by the grip......preventing full cock. Just my thoughts......I'm not a gun smith....... by any stretch of the imagination!!!! Bob
    Injunbro, KZero and Minorcan like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    57778 times
    What Bob said: Pachmayr grips often cause that problem, the hammer spur is hitting the grips. Trim a little out of that part of the grip & all should be normal again. Then take that WD-40 away from your guns, it's for water displacement - not gun cleaner & leaves a residue that goobers up the work over time.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26307 times
    I wonder if the grip screw is somehow interfering with the spring when it is under tension from the cocked hammer?

Member #
    Liked
    7767 times
    Thank you for the kind help you gave me in resolving the issue w/ my revolver. I looked at the way the revolver functioned with the original grips and the S&W TG's ... no problems at all. I then took all three K-frame Pachmayr grips I have and installed them in turn on the 66 revolver. One set was problematic on the 66 ... but not with the other revolvers. So ... I've now got things sorted out. I have Pachmayr's on my various K-frames other than my Model 18 which has standard S&W TG's. As my left hand heals, maybe I can return to using the S&W TG's. They are my favorites from way long ago. Many thanks to all for the suggestions. I was concerned that I was going to have to end up replacing the hammer or hammer/trigger. That would have been some serious money. Sincerely. bruce.

Member #
    Liked
    26307 times
    Last fall, Curt got an M19 PA State Police Commemorative a with target hammer. He wanted to replace the nice factory presentation grips to preserve them) with some nice looking wood grips from Thailand. He took a set off one of his other revolvers for the first range trip and they would not allow the hammer to be cocked for single action shots. The gun he took them from did not have a target hammer, so they worked on it. Just that bit of spur length difference between the 2 hammers made one clear and one hit before cocking
    Injunbro likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4777 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    I wonder if the grip screw is somehow interfering with the spring when it is under tension from the cocked hammer?
    I've saw that happen several times. Had an Anaconda that they ground the grip screw almost in half to clear the main spring(coil) from the factory.

Member #
    Liked
    1383 times
    I think they ^^^^^^^ identified the problem.

And I agree there are far better things to spray into a gun than WD40.
    "Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? Here I might be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see?"
    [Festus Haggen]

Links