Wilson Combat kit 14# not strong enough to reset trigger
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Wilson Combat kit 14# not strong enough to reset trigger

Member #
    Liked
    125 times

Wilson Combat kit 14# not strong enough to reset trigger

Anyone have any issues with a 14lb rebound spring?

I feel like the reduced weight does wonders for single action and double action, however the trigger feels like it's slow to get back into the proper location on the follow up shot.

Is this normal? Anyone else experience this?

It's currently affecting my 629 and 625.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Moe

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    13431 times
    Hey Moe,

I usually just take one (or a hair more) coil off the Factory Spring, making sure to polish the rebound slide inside and out.

Then, you will want to stone the mainspring....one direction only....(this "aligns" the molecules/imparts eddy current? in the spring, ensuring the spring bends over its whole length, not kinks)

Later, Mark
    Injunbro likes this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Awesome advice.

I noticed my set spring was not all the way screwed into the slot for the mainspring /rib spring slot.

What's the proper seating placement? All the way down?

msharley likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9723 times
    Most Performance Center guns that I work on come with a power rib mainspring. Springs do not an action job make! Careful stoning of the correct parts in the correct places is the most important part of the job. Also lapping the rebound slide and frame does wonders for trigger reset. I use a 13# spring most often with excellent results. Also a 10-32 X 1/2" allen set screw with thread lock will give you infinite adjustment of the mainspring for reliable ignition in S/A and D/A modes. Mcmaster.com has the set screws. The power rib spring usually requires a longer strain screw due to the rib.
    msharley and Injunbro like this.

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    See now that's some good advice. I'll make sure to grab one at the shop tomorrow and give it a shot.

It's disappointing that no real work is done to a PC trigger.

msharley likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    I've been dry firing my 629 for a while and with my Wilson Combat springs installed I screwed my set screw all the way down and I can achieve 2lb sa and 8m5 da. I am not complaining but before sinking it all the way the da was 6.5 and it seemed like the sync was off with the cylinder and hammer.

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Pictures to help

msharley likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    13431 times
    Hey Moe,

Get a good book, Jerry Kuhnhausen comes to mind... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/69...rry-kuhnhausen

After fixin' and adjustin' what needs doing...(some judicious stoning/lapping? as Mark said) I highly recommend a few (dozen?) dry fire sessions, this will put the finishing touches on it.

Some of the younger fellers like the Apex Trigger. I do the old "interrupted trigger pull".....

Later, Mark
    series guy likes this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    My trigger stop doesn't do anything on my 625.

I can see light all around it. Why even put one on if it doesn't do anything

msharley likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16107 times
    I have to say that my 460 Performance Center's trigger is lighter and more crisp than my dad's 44 RM he gave me before he died and he had the trigger professionally done. In fact anyone I let shoot the 460 is amazed at how smooth it is with an extremely clean break and no let off whatsoever. Point pull and bang. The initial pull is less that the 44RM as well.
    msharley likes this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links