1975 Security Six
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: 1975 Security Six

Member #
    Liked
    823 times

1975 Security Six

Well it took several years but I finally found a decent Security Six with the 2.75" barrel. For me that' s a bonus because I like short barreled revolvers. Won it yesterday at an auction. When it was all said and done with I paid $541.80. It was an internet auction, but the auction company is only a few miles from my house so I was able to give it a thorough exam before the bidding began in earnest. I got in a bit of a bidding war for it. It's a 151 prefix and a serial number search shows it being made approximately 1975. Placed it next to my GP100 3" for the sake of comparison. You know people talk about certain Colts and Smith & wessons being hard to find, but I have had a heck of a time locating a nice Security Six...or a Police Six/Speed Six. This one took a few years. I've actually been saving up for one of the new Pythons, but I didn't want to let this one go so I dipped it into my savings. That's okay I can build it back up and eventually the 2020 Python will be around in large numbers (and hopefully they will have the teething issues fixed by then)…….unlike the Security Six.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Member #
    Liked
    8679 times
    Yessir, the snubby stubby versions of the "six" series are getting hard to find. You did well to snag it when you could.
    These live here ,,,,,, and are not leaving.

Actually I'm not ignoring ANY of the Ruger Sixes these days and just recently hauled this Service /Police home . It probably won't stay forever BUT ,,,, It is a great sized , well balanced gun.

The Six Series should not be as overlooked as it is.
    Where am I going ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and why am I in this handbasket ?

You know my uncle , he's as honest as me . An I'm as honest as a government man can be.

Member #
    Liked
    823 times
    They are not easy to find in South-Western Idaho. Even used Ruger GP100s are priced between $500 - $600 typically and they aren't very common in the used sections of local gun-stores either. I guess Idahoans love Ruger revolvers.
    needsmostuff, Curt360 and jeepnut like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    95841 times
    Sweet! Nice Addition to your collection. My first .357 was a 3" GP100 which I still have today. Built like a tank and reliable. Would get a Security Six if the opportunity arises and the price is good. Congrats!
    jeepnut likes this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    17985 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    Well it took several years but I finally found a decent Security Six with the 2.75" barrel. For me that' s a bonus because I like short barreled revolvers. Won it yesterday at an auction. When it was all said and done with I paid $541.80. It was an internet auction, but the auction company is only a few miles from my house so I was able to give it a thorough exam before the bidding began in earnest. I got in a bit of a bidding war for it. It's a 151 prefix and a serial number search shows it being made approximately 1975. Placed it next to my GP100 3" for the sake of comparison. You know people talk about certain Colts and Smith & wessons being hard to find, but I have had a heck of a time locating a nice Security Six...or a Police Six/Speed Six. This one took a few years. I've actually been saving up for one of the new Pythons, but I didn't want to let this one go so I dipped it into my savings. That's okay I can build it back up and eventually the 2020 Python will be around in large numbers (and hopefully they will have the teething issues fixed by then)…….unlike the Security Six.
    I wish Ruger would have stayed with the full grip frame like your SS. Nice pick up. And these Ruger's wont break the bank if you want to collect a few.
    Checkman and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    69310 times
    Very nice Snubby. I like them too. Really like the grips on the Speed and Police Service. And are not bad shooting 357 mag out of either. Congrats on getting yours and sure it will not be the last.

Name:  IMG_3322.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  461.7 KB
    Name:  Security Six 2.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  581.7 KB
    Name:  resized Ruger Speed Six.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  118.6 KB
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41489 times
    Looks like a great find a 4" Security Six is one on our list of to buy!
    jeepnut likes this.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    8623 times
    I had a 2 3/4" Speed-Six, blue, back in the day. We bought it for my (ex) wife, but she almost never shot it. No concealer carry (legal anyway) so it was really more a less a range toy. Nice gun, good shooter. It desperately needed a T-grip, which you could actually buy over the counter back then. That made a big difference. I think we paid somewhere around $180.00 for it, NIB.
    jeepnut likes this.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Member #
    Liked
    3026 times
    Took me some time to wrestle this Speed Six out of the hands of someone I know and now that it's in my hands it ain't going anywhere.
    That's a really nice Security Six. I need to keep my eyes open for good looking Six series in blue.

Name:  DSCN3361.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  861.9 KB
    That Obama sticker on your car really says "YES, I AM STUPID"

Member #
    Liked
    245 times

1988 Ruger Speed-Six

Name:  Groundhog Day.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  775.8 KB
    GOD BLESSED TEXAS