Saturday Night Specials?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Specials?

Member #
    Liked
    144 times

Saturday Night Specials?

I shudder to ask, but does anyone have any curiosity about them? The multitude of cheap top-breaks made by H&R, H&A, Iver Johnson, etc., before WW II. I sure didn't until someone GAVE me 8 of them, most 5-shot .32s & .38s, but most not working, with missing or broken parts (esp. the hard rubber grips). But as I began looking them over, I was surprised to find that not only did all of them have serial numbers, but that the cylinders, & some other parts had matching numbers; so I began to think they weren't quite the junk I took them for.

Nicest one is a H&R Premier Model, a 5-shot .32, which I identified with the Gun Trader's Guide; I was rather surprised it even had a name! It's really rather cute, & I've always liked top-breaks, but it's missing its mainspring. Nothing available through Numrich, or any other parts dealers I checked. Any other source of parts anyone knows about?

Member #
    Liked
    59495 times
    Oldgungeezer, jeepnut and lawdog like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    2260 times
    My interpretation of "Saturday night Specials" came from when I lived in NY in and around the late 1970's. early 1980's and they were supposed to denote any "snub-nose sized", CHEAP quality gun that could possibly explode in your hand when you fired it. Mostly favored by low life punks in the ghettos and subways, etc. Well, not to lose an opportunity to take advantage, NYC politicians soon turned the phrase "Saturday Night Specials" into any gun with a 2" barrel or less. Coincidentally, I was applying for my concealed weapons permit at the time. My choice for my first firearm was a S&W Chief Special M36. I was dealing with a local police officer from the town I was in who had an FFL and he told me he had to order two other S&W guns in order to get a 2" Chief Special for me. Wish I knew now what I didn't know then, I probably would own two other awesome S&W revolvers which were P & R at the time excluding my Chief Special. It's been going on for a long time. Keep your powder dry!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecar View Post
    Coincidentally, I was applying for my concealed weapons permit at the time. My choice for my first firearm was a S&W Chief Special M36.
    Wow--if you were able to get a concealed permit in NYC, guess that means you qualified for a Secret Service clearance! I got mine upstate about 40 yrs ago, & there was nothing to it then, but now, even upstate, it's an expensive & time consuming struggle, thanks to downstate Dems.

Oddly enough, I never, or rarely, actually "carry," because I simply have no concern about my personal safety in this area. (If I did, it would be my Chief's Special Airweight, which is no fun to shoot with +P!) I've usually got some kind of handgun in my vehicle, but that's for shooting at my range, not "personal protection."
    lawdog likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    Thanks for this info, a source I'd never heard of. Looks like a good parts source, but his only H&R mainsprings are the later coil-spring types, not the flat-spring I need.
    lawdog and Oldgungeezer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    59495 times
    You can make a serviceable spring out of piano wire, when I had my gunsmithing business it did on occasion to replace an obsolete one. Check out You tube.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    28644 times
    Based on the manufacturers' you've noted, I don't think I'd place them in the 'cheap, Saturday Night Special' category, they made some good guns! Bluecar is closer to the mark related to the negative moniker.
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    You can make a serviceable spring out of piano wire, when I had my gunsmithing business it did on occasion to replace an obsolete one. Check out You tube.
    Will do--and thanks! (Am beginning to think--is there any kind of mechanical operation, procedure, "how to," etc., someone hasn't put into a video on YT? Yet for some reason (like my old age mindset), I never think of checking there first.)
    lawdog, jeepnut and Injunbro like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondacker View Post
    Wow--if you were able to get a concealed permit in NYC, guess that means you qualified for a Secret Service clearance! I got mine upstate about 40 yrs ago, & there was nothing to it then, but now, even upstate, it's an expensive & time consuming struggle, thanks to downstate Dems.

Oddly enough, I never, or rarely, actually "carry," because I simply have no concern about my personal safety in this area. (If I did, it would be my Chief's Special Airweight, which is no fun to shoot with +P!) I've usually got some kind of handgun in my vehicle, but that's for shooting at my range, not "personal protection."
    Please don't let me disillusion anybody here. My concealed weapons permit at the time (1979) was for New York State. I DID NOT have a NYC permit. I was not Secret Service, I was a funeral director. However, since my business called for me to go into NYC arbitrarily, I had to decide if I would carry my concealed firearm with me or not. I based my decision on the need that if something dangerous should have arose while I was conducting my business in NYC, did I want to have the ability to defend myself or break the draconian NYC laws. Others have seen me post the expression, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and there lied the decision on a daily basis, to carry concealed in NYC. Again, as others have seen me post before, I think you know what I decided to do when the situation presented itself. That was a long time ago, and I chose to carry most of the time for mine and my new family at the time's protection. I have lived in FL since 1987 and still carry daily. The only difference is I have a box of holsters I can't wear anymore.
    To the original OP, I spent my youth camping in the Catskills and the Adirondacks. Just recently, while attending my niece's wedding in September, I visited the site of the original Woodstock Festival in Bethel and although I was a little too young (14) while living a mere 90 mile away at the time, I couldn't attend. I grew up in New Rochelle but spent a lot of time camping in the "upstate" mountains, the OP will get the reference.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecar View Post
    Please don't let me disillusion anybody here. My concealed weapons permit at the time (1979) was for New York State. I DID NOT have a NYC permit. I was not Secret Service, I was a funeral director. However, since my business called for me to go into NYC arbitrarily, I had to decide if I would carry my concealed firearm with me or not. I based my decision on the need that if something dangerous should have arose while I was conducting my business in NYC, did I want to have the ability to defend myself or break the draconian NYC laws. Others have seen me post the expression, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and there lied the decision on a daily basis, to carry concealed in NYC...
    I'd sure as hell do the same if some strange circumstance forced me to travel into NYC! However, for me, that's about as likely as being "abducted by aliens"!

But as I said in reference to my carry permit, I don't think there's any safer (i.e., "whiter"!) place to live than upstate north of the cesspool of the state capital, Albany. I'd find it pretty depressing to live in any area where I believed I "needed" to carry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links