• 1 Post By CajunBass
  • 1 Post By Curt360
  • 1 Post By nmshieldshooter

Thread: Co;t pocket Positive finally Home

Member #
    Liked
    62392 times

Co;t pocket Positive finally Home

Picked this little Colt Pocket Positive from another forum. It is from 1902 and is 3 1/2" barrel. It is 32 Colt which I understand will not take 32 S&W long or short. Gun did come in custom non-Colt wood box. It was extremely dirty but cleaned up as barrel is spotless and cylinders are shiny. Locks up extremely tight with no movement and very smooth trigger in DA and SA. Has some character on the finish but it is 117. Came with a pair of Ivory Grips and the original grips. The grips are ivory but do have some darker spots. Tested with UV light (bright white) and under magnification can see grains in the ivory. There is a Colt medallion in the box and a paper that states the medallion came with th gun with ivory grips. However, the Ivory grips do not have a Colt trademark button. The Colt trademark is a Large C with the Stallion inside it (I have not seen one like this before so any information here would be appreciated. What I have read tells me the 32 Colt has a "heeled" base and the case is a few thousandths smaller in diameter than the S&W 32 Long or Short. And the Colt 32 is more a "medium" and not as long as the S&W long. This is the oldest Colt I have had and am still investigating some of the items mentioned above. Looking now for the correct ammo as would like to shoot it.

Name:  thumbnail21.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  241.7 KB
    Name:  thumbnail22.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  197.1 KB
    Name:  thumbnail23.jpg
Size:  165.3 KB
    Name:  thumbnai25l.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  196.8 KB
    Name:  thumbnai1l.jpg
Size:  112.4 KB
    Last edited by jeepnut; 11-29-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    WendyZXZ, jb59, Waidmann and 11 others like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    4212 times
    Very nice gun and grips. The ivory grips look like fossil walrus ivory.
    Curt360, jeepnut and msharley like this.
    Paul

STUPID WILL GET YOU KILLED

Member #
    Liked
    13664 times
    Hey Rodney,

What a fine .32!

Good for you!

Later, Mark
    Curt360 and jeepnut like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    62392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TennSharpshooter View Post
    Very nice gun and grips. The ivory grips look like fossil walrus ivory.
    Thanks, I agree as others I saw that might be close were Siberian Mammoth. But they were a little darker. I figure the grips are worth what I gave for the gun. Do not think they are Colt issued but they fit perfectly.
    TennSharpshooter and Curt360 like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    8354 times
    Very nice. I like those Ivory grips. Is it 32 Long Colt or 32 New Police? I had a Police Pocket Positive a few years ago in 32 New Police. It had a 2 1/2"? barrel, round butt, genuine Mother of Pearl grips that fit perfectly, but no Colt medallion, so I was never sure if they were factory or not. I always suspected they were myself. I suspect the option list at that time was pretty extensive.

Yours is a little older than mine. IIRC mine was from 1912.
    jeepnut likes this.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Member #
    Liked
    83937 times
    Fantastic score on an older classic. Looks like it cleaned up well. Range report to follow soon? enjoy!
    jeepnut likes this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    6633 times
    Nice looking revolver. Hope you find the ammo!
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    62392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    Very nice. I like those Ivory grips. Is it 32 Long Colt or 32 New Police? I had a Police Pocket Positive a few years ago in 32 New Police. It had a 2 1/2"? barrel, round butt, genuine Mother of Pearl grips that fit perfectly, but no Colt medallion, so I was never sure if they were factory or not. I always suspected they were myself. I suspect the option list at that time was pretty extensive.

Yours is a little older than mine. IIRC mine was from 1912.
    Just 32 Colt. Which is neither so have to find ammo as 32 S&W will not work. Not sure about Colt issued but could be custom fitted as they are great. I do have a set of MOP on an old Colt Official Police that was presentation to a retiring officer. They were Colt but no medallion.
    Last edited by jeepnut; Yesterday at 10:00 PM.
    Regards,
    Rodney

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    10206 times

You got me thinking and.....

Name:  15050964_2.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  70.6 KB The short version is still current.

Links