I know ya'll think I've lost my mind already, but....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: I know ya'll think I've lost my mind already, but....

Member #
    Liked
    8552 times

I know ya'll think I've lost my mind already, but....

I was brousing around Bud's Guns the other day, when I came across the RIA Model 200, 38 Special, with a 4" barrel, fixed sights. Price $216.00. These things have been discussed and cussed over the internet for a couple years, and I had just watched a Hickock 45 video about it. (He basically liked it.)

I've never ordered a gun online, so I thought, "What the heck. Let's try it."

I placed the order, got an email back in an hour or so telling me the order had been sent to shipping. Later that day I got another telling me it was on the way, and would arrive in a couple of days...today actually.

I got a call from the shop I'd had it shipped to, I picked it up and examined it. It was in a plastic bag, and let me tell you, these people like oil. It was about dripping off the gun.

I got it cleaned up and checked it out. The finish is a flat black Parkerize I suppose. Sure, it's ugly, but I didn't expect a Colt Royal blue. Lockup is tight, all controls work normally. Trigger is much better than I expected. Actually it's pretty good, both DA and SA. Sights are a simple ramp front, notch rear, fixed. The grips are some kind of hard plastic, round butt, with finger grooves. They feel fine to me, but I can see where others might not like them. However, on this one the grips are a little loose, and you can see a piece of card stock I put in there to tighten them up. AFAIK, there are no aftermarket ones. RIA says, "light" use of P+ ammo is OK, but I'll never shoot any in it I don't suppose.

Name:  RIA1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  1.75 MB

Name:  RIA1a.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  1.52 MB

I haven't shot it yet of course, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I can add this to my list of "cheap guns" that I've tried just for grins and giggles. A High Point 9mm, and a Heritage 22.
    Last edited by CajunBass; 10-31-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Member #
    Liked
    14400 times
    Looks like a good Truck/car gun to me. Nothing you have to worry about, finish wise. As long as it shoots pretty good, it'll save your bacon, when you need to. You might want to put some rubber Combat grips on it, to lessen the recoil. It's not really my style to keep a gun in the car. I'd rather have my S&W M-10-7 2" in a cross draw holster, for when I'm drivin'. Bob
    jeepnut, Oldgungeezer and Curt360 like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    59541 times
    I've looked @ them several times & they seem to be decent quality. I'd shorten that hammer spur a bit.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11014 times
    Well.........beauty is in the eye of the beer holder : ). Like Bob said nice for a truck gun. But hey if it shoots well it's OK in my book. I can see some Dremel action on that hammer spur in the future.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    40887 times
    Good price and if like RIA guns should be a nice knockabout gun!
    Curt360, Oldgungeezer and jeepnut like this.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    2874 times
    Can you post a picture of the gun with the grips off so we can get a good idea of the grip frame shape & size?
    I'm thinking the grips for some other revolver can likely be modified to fit.
    Oldgungeezer, Bob K and jeepnut like this.
    Always looking for a deal on more reloading components & ammo. I once tried to see things from the liberal perspective - but I discovered I'm not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Member #
    Liked
    2274 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Looks like a good Truck/car gun to me. Nothing you have to worry about, finish wise. As long as it shoots pretty good, it'll save your bacon, when you need to. You might want to put some rubber Combat grips on it, to lessen the recoil. It's not really my style to keep a gun in the car. I'd rather have my S&W M-10-7 2" in a cross draw holster, for when I'm drivin'. Bob
    So Bob, let me get this straight...are you recommending the OP to leave the "cheap" gun in the car or not? I'm not sure because you said it's a good truck/car gun. But then you said you wouldn't keep a gun in the car. But then you said you'd rather have your M10-7. Please clarify.
    Oldgungeezer and Bob K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    32316 times
    I have heard the colt D frame grips fit, or kind of fit, close enough to made to fit
    Oldgungeezer and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10208 times
    If RIA revolvers are as good as their 1911s , I'd say money well spent. Kinda looks like a Det. Spec.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    3497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    I've looked @ them several times & they seem to be decent quality. I'd shorten that hammer spur a bit.
    The hammer spur doubles as an ice pick.

Kevin
    Oldgungeezer and 5150 like this.
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links