FUGLY ,,,,,,, with a capital F . View at your own risk.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: FUGLY ,,,,,,, with a capital F . View at your own risk.

Member #
    Liked
    8346 times
    Yo Irv, V spring swap was just a stab in the dark for a quicki fix , but it had no reward. So not the problem .
    The bolt ,cylinder latch, Is a long pivoting thing made out of hard spring steel . being very thin on one end is allowing it to deflect sideways and disengage from the cam on the rebound lever dropping it early.
    Cheap Bubba fix mentioned involves a shim on the inside of the frame to stop this deflection.
    The small cams and lobes on these two parts are small and must be perfect to work , or they aren't and they don't.
    Where am I going ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and why am I in this handbasket ?

You know my uncle , he's as honest as me . An I'm as honest as a government man can be.

Member #
    Liked
    57155 times
    Quote Originally Posted by needsmostuff View Post
    Yo Irv, V spring swap was just a stab in the dark for a quicki fix , but it had no reward. So not the problem .
    The bolt ,cylinder latch, Is a long pivoting thing made out of hard spring steel . being very thin on one end is allowing it to deflect sideways and disengage from the cam on the rebound lever dropping it early.
    Cheap Bubba fix mentioned involves a shim on the inside of the frame to stop this deflection.
    The small cams and lobes on these two parts are small and must be perfect to work , or they aren't and they don't.

Yeah, Colts cylinder rotates backwards, their screwy action design isn't as smooth or rugged as S&Ws & goes out of time more often. Because they were used up long ago replacement parts aren't as available & must be made. The later guns kind of rode in on the coattails of the SAA... outside of all those failings they do have the cool name & are pretty accurate (a couple still take up lodging in my safe). It's been my experience brass makes the best shims on a Colt but sometimes you need to carve out a whole new part the hard way.
    needsmostuff likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    8346 times
    Well, I'm gonna put a plug in this one for now and call it functional.
    A couple of quick file strokes on the rebound lever cam and the bolt started behaving properly. It is now dropping right in the middle of the leade, 1/8 of an inch before the slot.
    Action is smooth and trigger pull both SA and DA are dandy .
    Striped completely naked of finish it still has the complexion of a 16 year old fry cook.

How much surface restoration will be done will depend on how she preforms at the range .
    Pretty comfortable with E/I/ colts now ,so for now done deal .
    Where am I going ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and why am I in this handbasket ?

You know my uncle , he's as honest as me . An I'm as honest as a government man can be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    57155 times
    I think you improved that one 200% already! A bottle of cold blue, an hours work, some oil & you'd be up to 300%.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    That is a pretty beat up gun, but you made progress on it. Are you going to blue it or get another finish, and maybe hide some of the dents?
    needsmostuff likes this.
    I watched Hamlet, MacBeth, and A Midnight Summers Dream; and now I am a Shakespeare fan. I set out to fill my mind with classics, one way or the other.
    I read A Tale Of Two Cities, and Huckleberry Finn, and Jane Eyre; and watched Wuthering Heights, and Les Miserales, and The Time Machine. And now I am big fan of them.

Member #
    Liked
    25669 times
    1000% better looking now than when you started. You know its getting to be that time of year. Get yourself some orange cerakote and make that baby a Pumpkin Spice Colt!!

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    I love it! I love ugly old quality revolvers at good prices.
    needsmostuff likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links