i have a old navy arms co colt 1860 army
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

i have a old navy arms co colt 1860 army

im trying to find out more about it i paid 50 buck for it , a sping was gone in it easy fix, i have emailed navy arms and they lost some there files when they moved from NJ beside that i know nothing about it

Member #
    Liked
    8365 times
    Capitalization and punctuation are a great consideration for anyone whom you are attempting to get to read and resond to your post.

Is your gun an Umberti?

Mike

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    no its a Pietta

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26108 times
    Brandonannette,
    Welcome to the forum. we're gald you stopped by and decided to join.
    Your revolver is an inexpensive Itallian copy of the famous Colt Army revolver. The revolver was originally a Black powder fired revolver in 45 or 50 caliber ball ammo with a percussion cap for igniting the charge. IIRC, Buffallo Bill Cody carried a pair of Colt percussion revolvers.
    The Pietta is an average quality copy, on par with the standard Uberti revolvers made today. Value can range greatly depending on the identifiaction of the proof marks on it, defining the date of manufacturer and the quality of the workmanship. I saw a numerous Pietta's and Uberti's today on the shelves at the local gun show. They generally range in value from around $200 up to $750 or so for the rarer models that have real case hardened frames and cylinders.
    Most of these revolvers have the frames stained and/or painted to look as if they're case hardened, when in fact they're not. Ruger does the same thing with many of their Blackhawk revolvers. If you paid $50 for it, you did well. Obviously repairing it wasn't too difficult, so you're still money ahead fo the game.
    They're generally a whole bunch of fun to shoot, depending on the style and shape of the grip frames. If you decide to test them out with high powered ammo you'll probably tear the revolver up pretty quickly. They're fine for cowboy loads, and general range and target shooting.
    It's worth keeping and shooting for fun, but you're not going to make much bank if you were to sell it.

Regareds,
    Gearchecker
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    8365 times
    It is an Italian made cap and ball revolver, either .36 (Navy) or .44 (Army) caliber of a mid to early 19th century Colts black powder revolver. It may, or, may not be servicable. What sping (sic) did you replace and was it replaced with an original part?

You can purchase all the components needed to shoot your revolver, but, were it mine, I would have it inspected by a competent gunsmith before attempting to shoot same.

Mike

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i replaced all the spings it but thing is it not nomal blueing,it either nickel plated or some thing im not sure

Links