Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Thoughts on bore fouling and cleaning

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23968 times
    Hi, One of the pictures "Fire Cracking in Leade Area" is not showing up.

Marc
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    26703 times
    I just read an article in a Guns magazine, 3 year old issue on breaking in a new barrel about 20 minutes ago. The writer basically claimed that this process of shooting a round, then cleaning, then repeating this process for 10 shots is a waste of time, and wont help much at all. He went on to state how many shooters think they can turn an off the shelf rifle into the category of a custom rifle by this process. There is no way you can turn a 5moa shooter into a 1 moa shooter with this process. Brass, copper, and lead are not hard enough to polish a steel barrel. I'm far from an expert, but ya, I agree that a bullet is not hard enough to have an affect on steel, other than leaving behind a deposit.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6374 times
    I'm certainly no benchrest expert, but I learned from a buddy who is. I've heard and read all kinds of mysterious ways to break in a barrel, or not. So I asked him how a bullet of softer material could have any impact on a hard steel barrel. His reply was something like, "Well, water is softer than rock but it sure smooths it out right?"
    spud_.308 likes this.
    Duane

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    533 times
    Like I said, over time it will slowly wear down the burrs. This is proven fact.
    DILIGENTIA-VIS-CELERATIS

Member #
    Liked
    26703 times
    I can buy the bullets wearing down burrs eventually, but I cant see how they would wear a barrel enough to eliminate machining marks. If that were the case your barrel would be worn to the point that it is a smooth bore. As far as water wearing down rocks, well ya, if the rock is soft enough and you have 50 years of water flow...24/7.. 365 days a years. Also, stream water contains small particles of sand, dirt etc, which I am sure help with the wearing process.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6374 times
    I also have never seen a bullet that would eliminate machine marks in a barrel. But, have you ever seen a rifled bore worn almost smooth from use? I have. Obviously that's alot different than barrel break in.
    spud_.308 likes this.
    Duane

Member #
    Liked
    6580 times
    Well according to this post I've totally ruined all my guns...I'm kinda bummed now...
    spud_.308 likes this.
    Charlie686

" All that is required for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing"

"If You Can't Move Mountains, Sweep Pebbles...Do Something For Jesus Today!"

"Don't look within searching for truth...You are confused already"

NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    5298 times
    I am not a benchrest competitor but I treat my rifles, all custom with expensive barrels, as though they are benchrest rifles. I have barrels from Shilen, Douglas, and Lilja. I have followed the manufacturers reccomendations for break in. They all differ. I will say this, my Lilja barrels are hand lapped by Lilja before shipment. These barrels are the easiest to clean barrels I own. His reccomended procedure is clean, one shot, clean,for five then five clean five...This method is time consuming and tedious to say the least but if a maker whose products have several gold medals tells me to do it that way I will listen to him. I have also read that benchrest barrels have a limited shot life and why waste 50 or so shots breaking in a top quality barrel. Of all the bullets I use the original Barnes X is the worst fouler. Shooters Choice Aqua clean makes short work of it. Those barrels I did not break in shoot as well as those I did so I guess I can't speak for the benefit.

If you are concerned about breaking in a used barrel, simply clean it to as close to bare metal as you can and choose your procedure. When you are done your barrel should foul less. As for a barrel being too clean, I have two rifles that shoot better fouled. A CZ 452 .22LR that wouldn't shoot until I had shot 50 rounds without cleaning and a Remington .22-250 that I use Barnes VLC coated bullets. It won't shoot until five rounds have been shot through a clean barrel.

This past spring I purchased Dyna Tek Bore coat. It is a ceramic treatment for the bore advertised to eliminate fouling. It is a pain to apply but even my .257 Weatherby cleans with three patches now. No brushing at all. Velocity did not change nor did accuracy or point of aim. I have yet to try it on a pistol barrel to see how it copes with leading but I have faith it will work. And no I am not affiliated with them at all.

The bottom line is every barrel is different in it's characteristics and there is no hard and fast rule that applies to every one. Do what you feel good a bout and have at her. Firearm are no fun unless they are used for their intended purpose.
    Hellbent likes this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26376 times
    All of my hunting rifles get cleaned twice a year. Just beofre hunting season and then I sightthem back in. Then they're cleaned again after the season is over. I run a very lightly dipped oil swab down them a couple times during the off season. I've never gone thru the trouble of breaking in a barrel because 1 MOA is close enough for a deer, elk, or moose out to around 300 yds. I don't shoot BR so pinpoint accuracy isn't all that important to me. I've never had much trouble with fouling so it's never been much concern to me either. Hoppe's, Kroil, and JB, pretty much takes care of my needs.
    spud_.308 likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    348 times
    This is a small section from my Father's barrel prep for hBN application. We've done only this for going on 5 years without one single failure to completely

remove carbon and copper fouling.

-------------------------------------------

We begin by stripping the chambers, throats and bore with Wipe Out. Its an ammonia free, water based bore cleaner that removes literally everything.

Carbon, copper, any kind of fouling including Moly. We set the rifle horizontally in the bench holder, plug the breech end, insert the nozzle at the muzzle, let the foam expand till it bleeds back out the bore. Leave the Foam Type Wipe Out in the bore and throat overnight and then dry swab everything. NO BRUSHES!
    We do a follow-up inspection for any copper residue with a Hawekeye Pro Borescope. A completely clean and 100% copper free bore is essential for the hBN application.
    A simple check with the Hawkeye Pro Borescope will tell you the microscopic truth.

----------------------------------------------

This simple process pretty much left a ton of other cleaners, removers and brushes untouched on the shelves for a very long time now. No brush of any

kind touches any bore in the armoury now. Dry patches on a jag, and that's it.

Sound too simple? Try it and make it prove itself to you. Not one brush of any kind has touched the bores of any rifles in the armory for the past 4 years.
    spud_.308 likes this.
    Latigo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links