• 1 Post By SidecarFlip
  • 2 Post By KZero
  • 1 Post By noylj

Thread: .357 Lead bullets with no cannelure

Member #
    Liked
    67 times

.357 Lead bullets with no cannelure

I have never loaded lead bullets of any type and basically have only seen pictures so very limited knowledge.

I have always held to the belief that .357 magnum should be roll crimped due to recoil in a revolver and apparently there is also a need for tubular magazine lever rifles.

The pictures usually show a tapered grove but the description specifically says no cannelure. Some even seem to have a ring above the grove that looks to be smaller than the nose but maybe the same size as the base. Example Meister Hard Cast MB-38-1587. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010735677?pid=170698

So the dumb question is, can you safely roll crimp using this grove?

Member #
    Liked
    7767 times
    Forget the roll crimp. Use a taper crimp. Extremely secure. Even better, it doesn't matter if all your brass is not exactly the same length. Sincerely. bruce.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18363 times
    When in doubt use a Lee collet crimper. Cannelure or not, a collet crimper will make it's on retention groove. What I use on my 452's for the 460 and my 44 RM handloads.
    jeepnut likes this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade5 View Post
    I have never loaded lead bullets of any type and basically have only seen pictures so very limited knowledge.

I have always held to the belief that .357 magnum should be roll crimped due to recoil in a revolver and apparently there is also a need for tubular magazine lever rifles.

The pictures usually show a tapered grove but the description specifically says no cannelure. Some even seem to have a ring above the grove that looks to be smaller than the nose but maybe the same size as the base. Example Meister Hard Cast MB-38-1587. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010735677?pid=170698

So the dumb question is, can you safely roll crimp using this grove?
    Not a dumb question, as the one in the link you provided doesn't look the same as a cannelure in a jacketed bullet.
    The answer is, yes, that is the intended groove for the roll crimp.
    Good luck, and have fun!
    Spade5 and jeepnut like this.
    Kenny

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Lead bullets generally have a crimp groove. You can roll crimp over the shoulder, if the bullet has one. You can just taper crimp, but the last couple of bullets in the cylinder could walk out of the case and tie up the cylinder.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Spade5 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5287 times
    Yes you can safely roll crimp in that groove. That is what it is there for. Perhaps it is a mis-print. Perhaps the description is differentiating between a “cannelure” and a “crimp groove”.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    1211 times
    I use the regular Lee Factory Crimp die. I feel the one with the collet resizes too much of the bullet back to 357.

Links