625-6 .45 Colt Mountain Gun loads
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

625-6 .45 Colt Mountain Gun loads

I just found a 625-6 pre lock .45 Colt mountain gun in great condition. Shes a beauty. It is my first S&W .45 colt.

I've looked around for information on 2 types of loads for the gun but I haven't found a definitive answer. I apologize in advance if its already here.

1. What would be the strongest 255 grain load that would be able to be used for general purpose? Basically Im looking for the highest load that the gun could be fed for its entire life. 900-950 fps doable?

2. The second load would be something higher pressure that I could feed my Ruger Redhawk, but that wouldnt damage the mountain gun if shot during a defensive situation. So for instance for trail use I could load both guns with the warmer stuff.

I have unique,231,2400 on hand, and I would like to use xtreme 255 grain FN plated.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by .45_COLT; 07-17-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2734 times
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Kevin,
    Thank you for the link. But unfortunately thats what Ive been finding in my research.
    "AGAIN, ALL THE INFORMATION IN THIS REPORT PERTAINS ONLY TO NEW MODEL RUGER SINGLE ACTION BISLEY OR BLACKHAWK REVOLVERS"

So I dont know how to apply the info. Are Mountain guns the same as original SAA or are they in between SAA and Ruger Redhawk/Blackhawk strengthwise?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16643 times
    Don't speak for others on here but I never comment on handloads or what I load at because the liability is too high and I don't want things 'blowing up in your face'. I suggest going to an established site like Hodgdon or Allant (which is Unique and I use Unique quite a bit) and get your load data there.

Handloading is nothing to play with so I refrain from commenting on any handload except to say, what works for me, may not work for you.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sidecarflip,
    Sorry for the confusion. Im not looking for specific loads. My Lyman 49th has several colt loads over 900 fps. Just wondering from owners of Mountain guns what would be the highest loads they have shot for everyday loads. Also any resources that show reloading data guides for modern Smith .45 colts.

From what Ive found so far there are general .45 colt loads that are safe for everything, (including SAA clones) then they jump right to Ruger only, TC contender etc.

Member #
    Liked
    2734 times
    Brian Pearce wrote an article in Handloader about the different levels of 45 long Colt. I do not know the issue(s). Someone else might have that information.

From this forum

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com...ntain-gun.html

You can also search for heavy loads for the cartridge. Lots of threads will pop up.

Unique will easily get you to 900 FPS.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 07-18-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    4570 times
    In all My Smiths(mtn gun included) and Rugers my std load is my cast 250 gr swc pushed by 8.5 grs of Unique. Been using this 45LC load for many years. Saying that you need to use loads from manuals.....not the internet.

Links