What Happened to my Brass
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: What Happened to my Brass

Member #
    Liked
    13430 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    Used dryer sheet in my case, but I didn't throw one in on the messed up batch. Heading out of town tomorrow some time and plan to pick up new media at the gun shop
    Hey Jonesy,

Does this mean...............that you are not sending that old, dirty .38 brass...................to me?

I've been using Lizard Bedding for media...50# for about $6!

Later, Mark
    Thewelshm likes this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Member #
    Liked
    23728 times
    Quote Originally Posted by msharley View Post
    Hey Jonesy,

Does this mean...............that you are not sending that old, dirty .38 brass...................to me?

I've been using Lizard Bedding for media...50# for about $6!

Later, Mark
    Heck Mark, probably more 38 special brass than that has rolled on up under your reloading bench
    msharley likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4887 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    Used dryer sheet in my case, but I didn't throw one in on the messed up batch. Heading out of town tomorrow some time and plan to pick up new media at the gun shop
    Name:  giphy minion.gif
Views: 36
Size:  2.27 MB
    msharley likes this.
    NRA Certified RSO

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4433 times
    Jonesy, try some of the walnut lizard bedding from the pet store and a teaspoon of turbo brite Polish. Run the range brass separate and throw away the media when you're done.
    cliff
    msharley and jonesy814 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    STS does a much better job and it cleans the primer pockets and flash holes as well.
    Ive tried tumbling with pins but have a terrible time separating the pins from the brass when done. Is there a secret inhaben’t heard?

Member #
    Liked
    23728 times
    Got new media the other day and ran that brass in it for about an hour. It cleaned right up, good as new
    msharley and ShooterGranny like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4974 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    U
    Ive tried tumbling with pins but have a terrible time separating the pins from the brass when done. Is there a secret inhaben’t heard?
    I do it with the brass under water in a large bowl. Point the case mouths down and the pins sink to the bottom. Sometimes with small bottleneck cases it takes a shake or two. Pour out most of the water and use the transfer magnet made by Frankford Arsenal.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Wet Side of the Mountains - Washington State
    Liked
    5518 times
    U
    I've used something similar to this one in the link since starting down the pin cleaning method, several years ago. Once you've separated the pins from the brass, I visually inspect the primer pocket hole because sometimes, especially with newer pins, they'll get lodged in the hole. A smaller than primer pocket sized punch will dislodge the pins rather easily. In the google search, I had to use the words "Rotary Media Separator" to find an example.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...nt=100-029-276
    "Lord I'm not askin' to go right now but, if you call me now, I pray my remains may be found in a pile of hot brass surrounded by my dead enemies!"

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 U.S. Air Force

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15566 times
    U
    I kept my old RCBS Media separator that I used with dry media. What I di is I take 2 5 gallon buckets and fill them with clean water (I use rainwater because our water has a lot of calcium in it). Anyway, I dump the contents of the Frankfort tumbler in the RCBS media separator, close the basket and the lid and spin it one way a couple times and the other way a couple times and all the pins fall into the bottom or 99% of them. Then I take the basket and empty it into the first bucket ans swish them around a bit and then transfer the brass to the second bucket and swish again. By that time, any pins that are left are in one of the two buckets. The they go on cookie sheets to dry in the sun ot on my wife's oven at the lowest setting (175 degrees). Once in a while I'll get a pin crossways in the neck of a 308 case but not often and I've never had and lodge in a primer pocket.

I use a Frankfort Arsenal on-off magnet to pull the pins from the RCBS media separator and the buckets (if any) and put them back in the tumbler drum. By that time they are pretty clean anyway and I leave them in the drum (with the lid off) until next time.

I use a dash of Dawn dishwash detergent and a dash of Lemishine. Just a little bit.

I also went on Flea Bay and bought some jewelers mix which are little balls and cone shaped things in stainless that I added to the pins. My pockets and flash holes get squeaky clean as does the inside of the cases. It's a bit tedious but worth the time because I always do a large quantity. One word of caution though, like with dry media, you cannot run different calibers together because the cases will nest. Not really an issue with bottlenecks but with straightwall cases can be an issue.

And for the wash in the tumbler, I use hot water from the tap. Just rinse in rainwater. I happen to have 2 350 gallon IBC totes plumbed into my rain gutters on the shop. I use rainwater for equipment washdown.

How I do it.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It looks to me like you tumbling media is worn out.......change it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links