What Happened to my Brass
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: What Happened to my Brass

Member #
    Liked
    5881 times
    You left it in the vinegar solution to long and probably heated it to long.

As for you media don't get me started!

Dump your old media invest the whole .25 cents and replace it with new corn media. Put in a few cap fulls of Nu Finish. Tumble for 2-3 hours and your brass will look like the Welshmans brass.

PS. Don't mix the nickel and brass together in the same vinegar solution.

Corn and/or walnut needs to be changed REGULARLT. Why folks like to use it for years is beyond me!. It looses its sharp edges, becomes fouled with crap and no longer works. Folks claim the tumble overnight?? Why It only takes 2-3 hours.

Media is so damn cheap. Buy it in 50 lbs bags. it cost $5 to ship, buy two and free shipping.

Switch your wet cleaning to Citric acid. Either Lem Shine Booster or buy pure citric

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-bla...40/i/G2165387/

https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=1caf
    Thewelshm, msharley and mrerick like this.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    13817 times
    Jonesey....ya just need NEW media. I use walnut husks and Alox. I have used Dawn dish soap and soak brass in hot water in a bucket. Dry the brass on a large cookie sheet in the hot sun....whenever the sun appears!?
    msharley and charles like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26520 times
    Even with the old media I could get a good shine in 3 hours. Should be half that with fresh stuff. As for drying it in the sun ..... well here in NW Pennsylvania we are gonna break that 40 days & 40 nights of rain record that was set by that Noah fellow a few years back
    msharley, charles and Diabloman like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18420 times
    We have had so much rain here we have mushrooms growing up between the deck boards....
    msharley and ShooterGranny like this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23861 times
    The brass certainly looks oxidized. Acids reduce brass, so an accumulation of acid (vinegar, etc) may be the issue.

Be sure nothing you're using contains ammonia.

I also use old used dryer sheets for dust removal inside the tumbler.

Will washing them with dish soap remove some of the dark splotches? That is my first step when cleaning up brass, and especially field brass. Check and see if brass pot cleaner will remove the oxidation. Don't use it in a tumbler, but try is by hand to see if it is, in fact, oxidized. That stuff contains grit, so is not suitable for preparing brass.

I would try changing the media (I use walnut shells).
    Last edited by mrerick; 06-18-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    5881 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    I Throw in a dryer sheet too..really keeps the dust down
    Well if it was NEW dryer sheet (unused) then that will definitely contribute to the problem!! New ones leave a film that is tough to remove.

Also "dust" is a sign that your media has crapped out.

Just put new media, some Nufinish and re tumble with no dryer sheet . Its not complicated.
    msharley likes this.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    36309 times
    I've always used walnut media with a couple of quarter sized chunks of jewelers rouge.

Knew a guy that tried rice as a media once - until he forgot and left the tumbler on overnight. (no timer)
    He ended up with a bunch of little brass disks that said "38 SPECIAL" and had a hole in the center.

Member #
    Liked
    5298 times
    I moved up to stainless pins as well. I'll never go back to dry media. Being bored and just for fun, last time I did a batch of cases I grabbed the salad/lettuce spinner and twirled my cases to remove 95% of the water, and then put them in my food dehydrator for half an hour. Dry as a bone. That was about 500 pcs. of 9x19 brass.
    gunhacker likes this.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    18420 times
    The one outstanding aspect of STS (at least for me) is the fact that cleaning with STS eliminates 99% of primer pocket cleaning and flash hole work. and as an added benefit, the inside of the cases get as clean and shiny as the outside so now, when I insert a pill, I never have to lube the case mouth. Downside is it takes a bit of time to rinse the cases and dry them but the crud goes down the drain and no dust.. I've cleaned upwards of 300 308 case at a time in my tumbler. It's a load but it handles it. Sounds like a washing machine when it runs.

Ran at least 500 45 ACP cases fir a friend in one shot too. He was amazed at how clean inside and out they were. he went and bought himself one. If you watch the sales, you can get a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler for around 130 bucks complete. That includes pins, a retrieval magnet and a sample of cleaning solution I never used.. I use my old cob separator (RCBS) to get the excess water out of the cases.
    jonesy814, msharley and Cliff like this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    26520 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rule3 View Post
    Well if it was NEW dryer sheet (unused) then that will definitely contribute to the problem!! New ones leave a film that is tough to remove.

Also "dust" is a sign that your media has crapped out.

Just put new media, some Nufinish and re tumble with no dryer sheet . Its not complicated.
    Used dryer sheet in my case, but I didn't throw one in on the messed up batch. Heading out of town tomorrow some time and plan to pick up new media at the gun shop
    msharley and Rule3 like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links