S&W 500 Reloading CFE BLK w/300 Gr FTX
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times

S&W 500 Reloading CFE BLK w/300 Gr FTX

Anyone got a recipe for Hodgdon CFE BLK with Hornady FTX 300gr bullets?
    According to Hodgdon, they have some recipes for different weights but they are different bullets they are using. I believe they are using Barnes bullets.
    NOTE: Hodgden and Hornady both won’t give any data on that combination.

Anyway, I know the COL will be 2.195 and using WLR primers.
    The best guess I can come up with is starting load of 46.5 grains of CFE BLK.

BTW, I have experience with many different recipes using Ranier 330 Gr plated and CFE BLK.

Now starting to use full jacketed projectiles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16587 times
    My thoughts are, I never allude to any loading I do. I don't want to assume the liability if they blowup in your face. I run 300 grain 452 Hornady XTP's in my 460 Smith XVR revolver, 250 grain 452's as well. My muzzle velocity with the 250's is around 2600 fps.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    My thoughts are, I never allude to any loading I do. I don't want to assume the liability if they blowup in your face. I run 300 grain 452 Hornady XTP's in my 460 Smith XVR revolver, 250 grain 452's as well. My muzzle velocity with the 250's is around 2600 fps.
    No worries. I’m experienced enough to know what not to do. I was wondering if anyone has actually loaded this combination of components before.
    Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    Meant to ask, how you liked the XVR? I wanted the most powerful revolver out there as I really like challenges. But did take a hard look at the XVR.
    BTW, that’s a respectable power level at 650. The highest power factor I shot in the 500 is 622. That is actually the factory versions of the one I want to reload.

Links