5 Years
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: 5 Years

Member #
    Liked
    23729 times

5 Years

Five years ago, on todays date, I reloaded my first round of ammunition. It was 45acp with a 200gr Hornady XTP. The next day I loaded some 38 specials and then some 357 magnum. Those were the only dies I had at the time. Since then I have added 9mm, .380 and .40 S&W. Have probably loaded somewhere in the 20,000 plus range. I load more 38 specials than anything else. I find it to be relaxing to sit down with some good music playing and crank out 100 rounds on my Lee classic turret press.
    I loaded 50 rounds of 38 special tonight with a 125gr XTP over 6.8gr of Power Pistol. I think I’ll see how they run in my 3 inch M60 pro
    Name:  3C530222-42A0-466F-B77C-22F02857BB83.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  1.86 MB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4480 times
    1973 38Spl!

Member #
    Liked
    49510 times
    Congrats, as I started 5 years ago also. First ones I loaded were 38 Special for bowling pin matches. Interested to know how the Power Pistol works as I have never used it.
    Minorcan, Ratzo, jonesy814 and 4 others like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23729 times
    I have used it quite a bit in 9mm and .40. It's meters nicely and can achievement velocity for many cartridges. I did loaded some like the above about 4 years ago. My notes say I liked it in my 2.25 inch SP101 and that's why I want to try them in the m60. This was not a plus P load, but is getting close.
    Minorcan, jeepnut and msharley like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4976 times
    I’d like to hear about the power pistol as well. I’ve never found reloading to be much of a cost saving endeavor, but none of my hobbies are. But it certainly is relaxing and there is something very satisfying about looking at those freshly assembled cartridges, and then shooting them.
    jeepnut, jonesy814 and msharley like this.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    9703 times
    Some fine looking cartridges there jonesy ! I would hate to think what this would cost me if it was factory loads.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15594 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratzo View Post
    I’d like to hear about the power pistol as well. I’ve never found reloading to be much of a cost saving endeavor, but none of my hobbies are. But it certainly is relaxing and there is something very satisfying about looking at those freshly assembled cartridges, and then shooting them.
    In my case it is because the stuff I load is stupid priced in factory rounds for one thing and for another, I don't load to SAMMI specs, I jump all my rounds to take advantage of the throat on my rifles. Even the handgun rounds I load (44RM and 460 S&W) are much less expensive off the press than out of a box.

I buy everything in bulk so component cost is less too. Bullets by the hundreds or thousands, primers in full cases and propellant in 8 pound (or bigger) jugs. Never could understand buying a pound of this or a pound of that when I can get 8 pounds or more and it all gets used anyway and propellant will last indefinitely so long as it's sealed (or resealed) and kept in a controlled enviroment, same with primers.

What I do is watch for reduced ship cost or free haz-mat and then buy or if there is a special on components like Hornady just had, I buy bulk. Picked up 5,000 55 grain JHP's in 22 caliber on special a month ago.

2 years ago Sierra ran a special (from the factory) on game kings and I bought about 30 boxes in various calibers. and I'm still using them. Same with Berger. Berger had a bulk bullet sale and I bought a large box 1000 of their 165 grain hunters in 308 caliber. It may take me 10 years to load them but for one thing the price will never go down and two, they keep forever.
    msharley, jonesy814 and Minorcan like this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    23729 times
    I started reloading for the cost savings.....sort of. Buying factory ammo I could not afford to shoot as much as I wanted to. Now that I load my own, I am spending about the same but shooting twice as much

Member #
    Liked
    1244 times
    Five years really? You and I started together. I remember it well, Today i am loading 38 Long Colt for a 1892 revolver.
    Learn something new every day and stay young my friend.
    msharley and jonesy814 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13430 times
    Hey Jonesy,

Good for you!

Don't save a nickel...............just shoot a whole bunch more!

Later, Mark
    jonesy814, Thewelshm and 1MoreFord like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links