• 1 Post By dennis40xnc

Thread: A really nice pair of ears...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23790 times

A really nice pair of ears...

At a recent shooting event I helped RSO, a competitor showed up with a pair of these electronic hearing protectors:

Supreme Pro-X Earmuff in Hearing Protection | MSA - The Safety Company | United States

Name:  SordinEars.png
Views: 182
Size:  237.4 KB

These are a very high quality hearing protector. Made in Sweden, they are MilSpec construction with the option of gel ear cushions. The electronic system is constructed to suppress high impulse noise, but still let you hear it (it doesn't completely cut out). They use two AAA batteries and alkaline batteries last hundreds of hours. It has auto-shutoff in case you forget and leave them on in your range bag. I'm not sure what plastic is used, but it feels quite dense, and may be similar to that used in modern pistol frames.

They are pricey, routinely priced at about $250. I found that I could buy them directly from a dealer in Sweden for quite a bit less thanks to the current strength of the dollar. EBAY is sometimes your friend...

Their narrow construction and cut-away shape at the bottom makes it easier to achieve a good cheek weld with your rifle stock.

In any case, they are great to wear and use, and should last quite a while compared to the less costly ones I keep breaking on the range.
    Last edited by mrerick; 03-06-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    dennis40xnc and jeepnut like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just read the noise reduction is different on some models. It goes from 19 to 21. I am not sure but I think that is on the low side, I think?

And some cheap muffs reduce 34-37 dB. I am easily confused by this technical stuff..
    Last edited by HoneyBooBoo; 03-06-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6580 times
    Geez, I feel like an antique. I'm still using ear plugs under muffs. They look like the real deal but way outa my price range.
    Sportymonk, jeepnut and magspop like this.
    Charlie686

" All that is required for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing"

"If You Can't Move Mountains, Sweep Pebbles...Do Something For Jesus Today!"

"Don't look within searching for truth...You are confused already"

NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23790 times
    These do not suppress as much noise as some other models claim. it's possible that they are conservative in their testing or specs.

The key is that they work well enough to protect your ears from damage, and that (when teaching) I can hear students and what is going on around me.

If I were shooting something big (magnum rifle) I'd add in the ear hearing protection.
    HoneyBooBoo likes this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4665 times
    MSA = Mine Safety Appliance headquartered Cranberry Township Butler County @ I79-&-PA Route 228. The Supreme Pro-X I have a set. Excellent quality! Imported from Sweden I believe. Better than the (2) sets of Pro-Ear that I have.
    mrerick likes this.

Links