Model 986 9mm

Thread: Model 986 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

Model 986 9mm

I'm a new member and am thinking of getting the 986 for a bullseye platform. Anyone out there who has one and can comment on its performance, quirks, problems, 9mm reloading issues, etc.? Any and all comments welcomed. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    277 times
    I have the 929 which is the 8 shot version. Your 986 will be a fine and accurate gun. Mine like a load of VhitaVhouri N 320 and 135 grain coated bullets. At 15 yards it prints into one ragged hole. At 25 yards of the bench I can keep them all in the 10 ring. The 986 has the same 1-10 twist barrel and will be great with 115-125-135 and 147 grain bullets.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Thanks AZ. I held and dry fired the 929 at a local gunshop. He can get me the 986 for $1029 plus tax.The trigger is outstanding and I'd like the shorter barrel for weight as the sight radius will be a non-issue for I plan to mount an Ultradot. The grips are not pretty but they do feel good. The jury is still out as I want to hear more in the way of reviews. Does your 929 digest range brass and light loads accurately?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7887 times
    I have a 986... it's an L-Frame versus an N-frame like the 629.

The titanium cylinder needs special handling, while titanium is lighter and has a higher tensile strength than steel, it is softer so the cylinder has a protective anodized coating to keep the cylinder face from getting flame eroded. The owners manual warns not to use any abrasive cleaner or brush to clean the cylinder or that coating and protection will be removed.

I don't like having a gun that I needs to be treated with kid gloves or has a vulnerability like that, so I have mixed feelings about having bought the thing.

Accuracy wise, I'm having trouble with it and I think it's more attributed to my aging eyes. I put on a Hi-Viz front sight and it didn't help, I just changed that to a red insert Baughman ramp... we shall see. I need to get someone else to shoot it and see if they do better to verify that it's not an accuracy issue with the gun.

I really like the L-Frame versus the N-Frame for 9mm, but the 7-shot 986 moon clips are sky high compared to the 929 8-shot clips.

It's been awhile since I did any 9mm reloading, with today's selection of powders and bullets there is certainly more options than when I was reloading it for my 459 pistol in the late 80's. If I remember correctly the 9mm has a tapered case that can make reloading a bit more of a challenge.
    Last edited by gunhacker; 12-31-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Political correctness: The doctrine fostered by the delusional liberals or the naïve, which attempts to promote the ideology that a turd is something that can be picked up and safely handled from the clean end.

Member #
    Liked
    277 times
    Does your 929 digest range brass and light loads accurately?[/QUOTE]

Mine has no problems with range brass and light loads. I'm currently using 135 grain bullets at about 900 fps. I've also used 125s at 1000 fps with no problems.

I do use Starline brass for all my competition loads. I like the consistency of one case for accuracy and reliability in my moon clips.

Links