Less than lethal pistol ammo? Yeah,Right!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Less than lethal pistol ammo? Yeah,Right!

Member #
    Liked
    927 times

Less than lethal pistol ammo? Yeah,Right!

Company targeting police, bounty hunters with safer ammoPublished January 01, 2013Associated PressReuters BOISE, Idaho – Executives with a Boise-based company are poised to begin marketing a new type of ammunition specifically for law enforcement teams and designed to avoid causing serious or fatal injuries to their targets and bystanders.The technology was created at Integrity Ballistics LLC, a company that has spent more than 10 developing and testing a round that resembles a shotgun shell. The round fires a synthetic ball that flattens upon impact and is intended to stun or subdue the target and the plan is to make it available only to law enforcement."It will be a lot safer for the officer and for the person being shot."- Jim Greer, CEO of Integrity BallisticsThe idea for the product emerged in the months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks when Integrity founder Joe Kolnik started brainstorming about ways to help federal air marshals assigned to protect planes. The goal was to develop a type of ammunition that would not cause fatal injuries to innocent bystanders or pierce the skin of a plane, yet be powerful enough to stop a potential hijacker.What emerged is the company's Burns Round, named after Kolnik's cousin, U.S. Marine Lance Corporal Kyle Burns, who died in action in Iraq in 2004, the Idaho Business Review reported in story published last week.The product the company hopes to begin marketing in early 2013 looks like an orange shotgun shell and is made up of three proprietary components: a pliable dark gray ball, orange plastic that encases the ball and a base filled with propellant.Fired out of a 12-gauge shotgun, the ball -- made of soft polymer composite -- flattens like a pancake on impact and stuns and bruises a human target. The ammo is being marketed as a tool for law enforcement officers that can be used to defuse standoffs, crowd control or other scenarios in which law enforcement may need to gain the upper hand."It will be a lot safer for the officer and for the person being shot," said Jim Greer, the CEO who joined the company in 2008. "What our products are going to do is stop and defuse threats."Greer said the company obtained a license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives earlier this year, clearing the path to manufacture the round.The company describes the ammo as "less-lethal" and "less-than-lethal" on its website. According to the Small Arms Survey, an independent university research project located in Geneva, Switzerland, these two terms are all used to describe law enforcement ammunition such as rubber bullets and bean bags.During the testing phase, Integrity's partners fired the Burns Round repeatedly at indoor gun ranges and targets on land administered by the federal Bureau of Land Management. They also sent the ammo to Wayne State University in Detroit for more rigorous trials.Integrity's website displays two results from the university's Ballistics Impact Research Lab that show the Burns Round causes less penetration and soft tissue damage than sock rounds.About 450 companies in 52 countries make less-lethal or less-than-lethal weapons, according to the Small Arms Survey. Many of the firms provide both ammunition and "launchers." Integrity Ballistics concentrates on ammo alone.The company will begin marketing its product to law enforcement agencies, bounty hunters and the prison industry in January. Read more: Company targeting police, bounty hunters with safer ammo | Fox News

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Allot safer for the cops and the person being shot? Well yeah, I guess it would be "safer" lol. But dammit, some perps need a shot that passes thru.....
    DocZeus likes this.
    Life Member NRA
    Member Patriot Guard
    25th ID Vet (Tropic Lightning)
    Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Member #
    Liked
    927 times
    It will mean a "kinder, gentler" police force to confront the armed,juiced-up criminals.
    DocZeus likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27317 times
    Too cool, firing Silly Putty out of a shot gun.

Imagine this. How many of you have slugged a Stretch Armstrong trying to get it to flatten out from the impact of your punch.
    Do you recall the feeling, like you just punched a concrete block full force. Yeah, pretty stupid huh?
    That is exactly what the guy that gets shot with this putty slug. It's going to break ribs, shatter a skull if the BG is so unlucky. and I'll bet it would shatter a hand as well.
    I can understand why they'll only want LEO's shooting it. Because then the Police Departmants and the town councils will be eating up the costs from the upcoming law suits. Less than lethal? Quite possibly, but the round will be doing significant damage to who ever gets hit by it.

Personally I like the idea.
    The bad guy (Not a really bad guy) lives and goes to prison, instead of getting shot and dying before we have a chance to convict incarcerate his butt!

Gearchecker
    DocZeus likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Reminds me of one of the scenes from the movie, "Demolition Man".

"Squad Leader: Simon Phoenix! Lie down with your hands behind your back.
    Simon Phoenix: What's this? Six of you. Such nice, tidy uniforms. Oh I'm so scared!
    [the Police Officers look at each other]
    Simon Phoenix: What you guys don't have sarcasm anymore?
    [Police Officer talks to his automated assistant]
    Squad Leader: Maniac has responded with a scornful remark.
    automated assistant: Approach, and repeat ultimatum in an even firmer tone of voice. Add the words, or else.
    "
    DocZeus likes this.
    Life Member NRA
    Member Patriot Guard
    25th ID Vet (Tropic Lightning)
    Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Member #
    Liked
    61145 times
    Glad I ain't a LEO! The Border Patrol was given crap ammo like this to fight smugglers armed with AK-47's owned courtesy of Operation Fast & Furious... anyone remember Officer Brian Terry? What's wrong w/ sending the ones who need shooting to meet Satan?
    FlaRon, drplvr, DocZeus and 1 others like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    Personally I like the idea.
    The bad guy (Not a really bad guy) lives and goes to prison, instead of getting shot and dying before we have a chance to convict incarcerate his butt!

Gearchecker
    I dont like the idea of having to take care of them for x number of years and then letting them out, always felt if I needed to shoot someone I was going for the kill not the wound or I would leave my gun holstered. If they a bad enough to shoot they are good enough to be dead. Better trained cops is the answer.
    Last edited by gearchecker; 01-01-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    61145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblebee1967 View Post
    I dont like the idea of having to take care of them for x number of years and then letting them out, always felt if I needed to shoot someone I was going for the kill not the wound or I would leave my gun holstered. If they a bad enough to shoot they are good enough to be dead. Better trained cops is the answer.
    The loser who recently shot the firemen in Webster, NY was convicted of murdering his grandmother (w/ a hammer) then several years later released to kill again. I'd much rather have them as worm food. Why not issue LEO's w/ Glaser safety slugs if they're worried about bullets over penetrating?
    71Chevrolet and drplvr like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19575 times
    The ammunition that I was issued the last years I was on the job for my handgun was Golden Saber .45 acp 230 gr.

For our Remington 870 shotguns it was Federal Low Recoil 00 Buck. For the AR's it was 75 gr. Hornady .223 TAP.

I never had to use deadly force during that time however I felt that if I did I had the means ,ammo and ability to do so.

We want superior firepower for our police not inferior.

Are the bad guys going to also use this kinder more gentle ammo. I think not.

We already have tasers, pepper spray and beanbag shotgun ammo for non lethal force situations.

In justified lethal force situations LEO's shoot to stop. Center mass arm pit level most of the time, head shots for instant CNS stops if warranted.

If during that time the assailant(s) receives mortal wounds that's unfortunate.

If all the LEO's get to go home to their families at the end of shift that's the plan.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "Unapologetically American"

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".
    Thomas Jefferson

"Blessed be the Lord my strength,which teacheth my hands to war,and my fingers to fight". Psalm 144:1

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T.Larkin

Member #
    Liked
    14943 times
    "You'll just put your eye out, kid."
    ~Jerry | Buckeye Firearms | ORPA
    Life Member DAV | NRA Distinguished | RWVA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links