Gun 'Buy Backs', does that even make literal sense? What am I missing?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Gun 'Buy Backs', does that even make literal sense? What am I missing?

Member #
    Liked
    13752 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Area51guy! View Post
    Ok, let's say the gummit pays each person $1000 for each weapon. Once all or at least most of the weapons are collected and destroyed, what's to keep that same gummit from taking back their $1000 dollars?
    Government taking back 'their' $1,000?

That's the equivalent thinking of government buying back their guns.

So... no. Let's not say that nor think that.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-09-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    10029 times
    It is simply semantics. The buzz words/terms of the opposition. By-back, loop-hole, gun safety issue, enhanced background check, responsible gun owner, whatever. Get used to it, you are going to see more. BTW this is not the group you have to educate.

Member #
    Liked
    13752 times
    Disagree on both of the above assertions.

The OP's point isn't simply semantics to be shrugged-off or get used to. It requires addressing, as he correctly did. Language and how it is used to control debate and brainwash is important to understand.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-09-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    delcrossv likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    13169 times
    The IRS steals money from hard working people every year. They are one of the most feared government agencies, that exist. If they give you money for your guns

......that's income, and you will have to declare it on your taxes. I want what my guns are worth, when I sell them to anybody. NOT....... what they say they're worth!!!!!! Even gun shops, only 'give you, maybe 20% of the actual price, that they will sell it for'!!!!!! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    25793 times
    Just another leftist cat poop wrapped in fine milk chocolate. I'm used to seeing them, just like flies. I swat flies when they present themselves, too. I'm used to that as well. Ignore them at your peril.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    -Arthur C. Clarke
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
    -Upton Sinclair

Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    Oh come on... they'll determine your guns are now worth $50 each. If you overpaid that's too bad.
    Yeah, in their eyes, I am supposed to turn over a Colt MK IV .45, and they give me a $50 Outback coupon. But in my eyes, I will kneecap a table full of punks, and take a load of guns home. {I don't know if I will get banned for saying that, time will tell.}
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 09-09-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5593 times
    Bring the on ! I have three un-needed calk guns, staple guns and a spray gun that needs buyback.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud2 View Post
    If the government at any level states that through voluntary or forced actions, they’ll ‘Buy Back’ your gun, doesn’t that suggest you bought said gun from the government to begin with?
    This is a semantic question I have wrestled with since the idea of a "buy-back" first appeared. I think it is an intentionally misleading phrase (break out the tin hats!). By calling it a buy-back, the implication is that the government has some prior right to the weapons concerned. If it is a general buy-back as part of a ban, the value for all arms not surrendered would legally fall to $0, so whatever they pay is fair market. Words mean things, and this phrase is frightening in its connotations and behavioral connections!

Member #
    Liked
    24980 times
    I doubt the feds would use cash, checks or gift cards in a " buyback". Their preferred mode of operation is to offer it as a tax credit. Really makes you feel good to hand something over then 5-6 months later you get to either not pay in as much in taxes or finally see the money as a tax return

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links