Model 60LS
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Model 60LS

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Model 60LS

Hello everyone. I am hoping that someone will be willing to give me their opinion on the problems I am having. I was talked into buying a S&W Model 60LS by a store owner the year after my husband died, sight unseen. It was a new gun but it was not what I expected and he had a "no return" policy and since I had already paid for it I was pretty much stuck with it. I had wanted a gun for self defense that I could carry with me and that I also could take to the range to practice with so as to stay fairly accurate in case I needed to defend myself. I have since learned that I need to move closer to the targets I am shooting at and that may improve my aim (I suspect I am shooting from too far away). I have small hands but this gun actually hurts me to shoot it for any length of time. The skin between my thumb and first finger actually begins to hurt from the heat of the gun and it becomes quickly unbearable to tolerate. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, have they found a remedy to it short of getting a different gun?

Member #
    Liked
    2105 times
    Hi WindDazzle,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Reference your Lady Smith Model 60. I trust that it is a 38 Special. If it is a 357 Mag use 38 Special Ammo. If it is a 38 special you can probable find ammo easier to shoot ammo with. 148 gr full wadcutters come to mind as ammo with less recoil and thus easier to shoot. Another thing that may help is different grips. I do not know your hand size but a bigger grip will spread the recoil out more. I personally think that rubber Pachmyre or Hoage grips help a lot with recoil.

Keep in touch.
    Last edited by jimg11; 05-03-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Member #
    Liked
    17636 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimg11 View Post
    Hi WindDazzle,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Reference your Lady Smith Model 60. I trust that it is a 38 Special. If it is a 357 Mag use 38 Special Ammo. If it is a 38 special you can probable find ammo easier to shoot ammo with. 148 gr full wadcutters come to mind as ammo with less recoil and thus easier to shoot. Another thing that may help is different grips. I do not know your hand size but a bigger grip will spread the recoil out more. I personally think that rubber Pachmyre or Hoage grips help a lot with recoil.

Keep in touch.
    I agree, when using it at the range stick with 38 Special Target/Range Loads. It will reduce the recoil.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988 now Endowment, And Proud Of It.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello Jim and RDLouks! Thank you so much for your responses. I am using the 38 special target/range loads. It is not a question of recoil - at least I don't think that is the problem. It feels as though the gun is getting hot by the hammer area and burns hot enough to hurt to handle. I will check out the grips you suggested I look into but don't know how to tell if they will fit the gun and be large enough to alleviate the problem. I really think my biggest problem is that the grip is actually too small for my comfort level. My neighbor was just showing me a Judge .45 that he just bought and I love the grip on it!
    Last edited by WindDazzle; 05-03-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2986 times
    Hi WindDazzle, does you gun have rubber grips? If not getting some may be the solution to your problem.
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    17636 times
    Try a set of these

Pachmayr Compac Grips Comapct Grip (S&W J Frame Round Butt) Md: 03252
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988 now Endowment, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I will be able to get out the latter part of this week and will see if I can find any of the Pachmyre grips. I have been all over the internet and have found some interesting posts on this particular gun. Almost everyone agrees that the J frame is really bad for shooting .357s with. And there are a number of comments on users developing blisters between their thumb and first finger. Maybe I should also consider looking at the 626 model? How heavy, cumbersome is the 4" barrel 626 to carry? Any input?

Member #
    Liked
    2797 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDLouks View Post
    Try a set of these

Pachmayr Compac Grips Comapct Grip (S&W J Frame Round Butt) Md: 03252
    +1 Start with a good set of rubber grips, and go with a lower recoil ammo, something like 148 grain wadcutters. Once it's more comfortable to shoot you will be amazed at your accuracy. On a silhouette target, you should easily be able to hit the chest area from 20-25 feet.I have taught a LOT of women to shoot and once it is comfortable they enjoy it.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    42739 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8814 times
    As mentioned above, try rubber grips. Try 38 wadcutter rounds. I think you will see a big difference.

Welcome to the forum.
    Lost in the woods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links