What happened at Smith&Wesson customer service ?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What happened at Smith&Wesson customer service ?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41266 times
    to the forums from the Wiregrass! Lots of nice, affable S&W owners here. I hope we can help you get past your initial experience and get on to enjoy your new Smith.
    tbsphoto likes this.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Member #
    Liked
    1883 times
    Are you sure they didn't accidentally include 40s&w mags instead of 9?! Years ago I was in a lgs looking at a M&P full size 9mm. Took the mag out, inspected and played with the gun. Inserted the mag and dropped it a few time.....typical checking things. At one point I noticed the mag said 40s&w and not 9mm!!!!! Aside from that it functioned in the gun as if it were a 9mm

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Thewelshm and Blackcloud2 like this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    42739 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2105 times
    Hi carvin125,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8425 times
    to the forum from SE Indiana.
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    The Shield magazines are extremely stiff when new, but I was able to fully load them. I feel that the stiff springs will result in more reliable feeding when the magazines get older
    I had no problems loading any of the five Shield magazines I have. Yeah, they are stiff at first, but what the hell, it's brand new!
    Thewelshm likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Member #
    Liked
    14019 times
    I think S&W's CS people are probably non-gun-owners. It's just a job to them. The old schoolers knew their products inside & out. They WERE shooters and GUNNUTS! There I done said it, Y'all. Nowadays S&W's CS ranks down there with Wally World. Hey you gotta busted thingamajig, we'll give anothern jist like it! jmho p.s. I have found out that me knowing what I need helps a bunch! The folks at Jack First really know they're stuff. I call them sometimes for advice?

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

May be BORE-ing

Well said MRERICK. My experience is a disaster with S&W CS and Repair.

1. Mid-February. My new 986 exhibited burrs coming off the muzzle lands and a rough, scratched bore surface only discovered after I fired a couple hundred rounds as the muzzle looked kind of weird. I sent it back for a new barrel and the "gunsmith" used a countersink to remove the burrs leaving chatter marks then gave it to the range guy who fired 3 shots that grouped under 3" and declared a "meets spec." victory and returned it to me. Not only was the "repair" shoddy, it negated the purpose of an 11 degree crown advertised as "precision". This took a month.

2. Mid-April. Being naïve and steamed, I kept quiet hoping my groups would improve. None of my loads would repeat. I then read a thread on forcing cone finishes and looked at mine through a jeweler's loop. I discovered burrs blown inward on the tool-marked forcing cone face from 7:00 to 11:00. THAT was the cause of the original problem missed by their "gunsmith" which likely destroyed the barrel in the first few virgin rounds. Again I kept quiet and carefully removed the burrs with a round jeweler's file leaving trace horizontal marks on the radial cone cutting tool marks.

3. End-April. After ruminating I finally sent them a long email explaining the situation to which they immediately responded with a shipping label, an apology and assurance the repair would be followed by a supervisor. My email also explained I am a shooter for 63 years and spent 6 of my younger years as an apprentice and journeyman toolmaker hoping the shenanigans would com e to an end and get a new barrel. When returned to me last week with no explanation from them, the paperwork showed "Cylinder Replaced" (not sure why) and "Barrel Replaced". This took another month, now 2 of 3 months without the gun.

4. Before doing any remounting of my rail, red dot and trigger shoe I did a jeweler's loop inspection of the gun. The bore countersink was deeper but smoother. The bore was not quite as rough but scratches parallel to the rifling ran the bore's length indicating some form of lapping. The most damning was the forcing cone. In addition to a large chamfer on OD and a slight chamfer on the ID, the file marks from my previous removal of the face burrs were right where I put them; 7:00 to 11:00 only. I inspected a new 986 at the dealer's and found sharp, but not burred edges at the bore/muzzle interface and forcing cone OD and ID. The bore was a mirror-like finish. Anyone think they installed a new barrel?

5. The responses I got from CS were terse and insistent the barrel was new from stock as shown by their coding records and say-so from the "gunsmith". After being stonewalled 3 times followed by a shipping label and a promise the "gunsmith" would evaluate it, I took macro photos of my claims. I sent them the photos with some text trying desperately not to be abusive and got a response saying I've got the label and I should ship it. I responded by asking them to get a new barrel from their stockroom and compare my photos to the new barrel. I also followed that up with an offer that if they gave me a full refund on the purchase price plus tax I would never darken their door again.

So that's where it stands until they reopen Tuesday and digest my request for the photo/new barrel comparison. I am appalled at such a display of arrogance. My SA RO9 was not shooting well after 400 rounds. I returned it to SA and they promptly refit the slide to the frame, put in a new barrel and new rear sight. All in 13 days door to door. Anyone out there with a similar experience from S&W CS?
    Last edited by bigtrout; 05-29-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    My only recent experience with them was a recall on a PPK/S. I sent a brand new pistol back to them, perfect condition, never fired. It had no scratches and I enclosed a note said I wanted to receive it back in the same condition. It was returned butchered up with vise marks on the right side of the trigger guard. I called them and asked for the CEO. I did not get him, but got a top level supervisor. He sent me a return label, I sent the gun back. He called me and said when they were making that gun in a few months, I would get a new gun with the recall problem fixed. I gave him my FFL's info. True to his word, I got a perfect new PPK/S. This was a number of years ago, but I always start at the top. I suggest you do, as well.
    Injunbro likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41266 times
    Appalling! I'm almost glad all my guns are so old S&W won't work on them.
    Forester, Injunbro and wirenut like this.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links