Figured I'd better join instead of lurking....
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Figured I'd better join instead of lurking....

Member #
    South Fork, PA ten miles from Johnstown and 90 miles east of Pittsburgh
    Liked
    707 times
    hello and welcome to the forum from PA.

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Howdy & welcome, from Texas Aggie Country!

Member #
    Liked
    44773 times
    Welcome from Longhorn country! Sounds like you know your firearms! Please share your pictures and experiences with us!

My BigBoy still just has iron sights. I can barely SEE the bull at 100 yds, but that Henry sure seems to know where it is. .44 Specials just seem to go "clink" in that monster, but the hole downrange is right where it should be. Magnums? You know you pulled the trigger! I was using Hornady loads at the time. More'n a gentle push on that recoil. Definitely don't want to tote that one up hills, and shoot standing. Some sort of brace would be mandatory, at least for me.
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    258 times
    Welcome from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I'm an old fart too 😀

Member #
    Liked
    20880 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdismukes View Post
    Welcome from Longhorn country! Sounds like you know your firearms! Please share your pictures and experiences with us!

My BigBoy still just has iron sights. I can barely SEE the bull at 100 yds, but that Henry sure seems to know where it is. .44 Specials just seem to go "clink" in that monster, but the hole downrange is right where it should be. Magnums? You know you pulled the trigger! I was using Hornady loads at the time. More'n a gentle push on that recoil. Definitely don't want to tote that one up hills, and shoot standing. Some sort of brace would be mandatory, at least for me.
    I realize this is a welcome to thread and this is a S&W forum but a bit on the Henry for you....

I agonized a bit over the Big Boy, I tend to research a gun prior to acquiring it but both Michigan and Ohio changed the rules last season to allow straight walled pistol cartridges to be shot in rifles for whitetail. Prior to the rule change, yopu could hunt with a muzzle loader (I have one of those, a CVA Optmia V2 In camo with a 4-12 Nikon camo ML scope, shimmed retainer and I use Large Rifle Magnum primers in a nachined cup instead of a 209 shotgun primer, you get better ignition and powder burn) and a 10 point crossbow or a shotgun shooting rifled slugs (don't have one of those. The rule change prompted me to buy the Henry which in my opinion has the smoothest cycling action and trigger pull of any modern sporting firearm.

Beinjg an old fart I don't see that well anymore so optics are the rule of engagement now. I'm all about shot placement and a clean kill. My credo is one shot one kill, thats the humane way.

The stock iron sights on the Henry (Marbels) leave a lot to be desired. They wrere ok 50 years ago and I understand Anthony at HRA is about period correct and SASS shooting competition but I needed an accurate shooter that I could get shot placement so I called Anthony and asked him what he recommended and got a Leupold 1-4 i" tube in gloss running Talley low rings on Henry's rail (you must use their rail) as it's machined to fit the top of the receiver.

I'm not a big fan of Leupold, I have a few from a decade ago on rifles but the newer ones are overpriced and the glass is run of the mill, however, I wanted a gloss scope and thats something thats hard to find, especially in a 1-4 so it was a Leupy, it wasn't cheap but it 'looks' right and it shoots lights out at 100 yards, basically one enlarged hole which ain't bad for a off the shelf bullet and a maximum load of Lil' Gun.

My big issue with the henry is it lacks relief ports in the receiver (like a Husky) so any overload will destroy the action and possibly your face too. Modern rifles (bolt action) all have relief holes in the receivers just behind the where the barrel screws into it. The porpose is to vent gasses in the event of an overload without destroying the action, receiver and quite possibly your face.

Which is why (I suspect) that HRA recommends only chambering factory loads and not handloads, but then I never buy factory anything....

Other than that it's a fine sporting rifle so long as you are cognizant of it's ability. It will never be a 200 yard rifle, about the best you'll get with a 44 straightwall round is 150 yards and the kinetic energy isn't really there, but it's a great close in rifle and the short barrel makes it an ideal brush gun, though I would cringe at scratching the polished brass...

Thanks for the welcome's. I'll try to be as helpful as possible, I know a lot about reloading, especially bottleneck rifle cartridges I like to use John Whidden bushing dies and RCBS front load Gold Medal micrometer seater dies and I check every cartridge for neck runout and loaded rounds for bullet concentricity. The straighter a bullet enters the rifling, the straighter it travels....

Member #
    Liked
    20880 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marylou View Post
    Welcome from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I'm an old fart too
    Being old has some advantages.... One, you can sleep later and two you can be critical of the younger set and get away with it....lol
    Injunbro likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    44773 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    Being old has some advantages.... One, you can sleep later and two you can be critical of the younger set and get away with it....lol
    I'm 65 as well. But that ain't 'old' unless you thin it is. So 65 just makes me a fart rather than an old one. For several decades I've thought 'old is 10 years from now'. Some days lately I feel like tomorrow would be more accurate.

I agree about the sights on the Henry. What I did was put the front sight on the target then wiggle the rear sights into line eventually pulling the trigger. Haven't tried hunting with it, but a friend says his dispatches feral hogs just fine.

One thing about this forum is we welcome all sorts of firearm enthusiasts knowing most on the forum (1) have a yen for Smiths and (2) own a lot more than just Smiths. You'll see all sorts of discussions here. Some even have to do with guns!

I have a feeling folks gonna want to discuss all manner of reloading and hunting with you. Glad you're aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    7764 times
    Welcome from New Mexico

Member #
    Liked
    20880 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nmshieldshooter View Post
    Welcome from New Mexico
    I hunted Mule Deer in New Mexico and Elk with GT Nunn. Thats 338 Lapua country for me. Last trip out was Mulies on the mesa. I want to hunt antelope there someday. Sure makes a nice get away from the snow up here in November.

Member #
    Liked
    20880 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdismukes View Post
    I'm 65 as well. But that ain't 'old' unless you thin it is. So 65 just makes me a fart rather than an old one. For several decades I've thought 'old is 10 years from now'. Some days lately I feel like tomorrow would be more accurate.

I agree about the sights on the Henry. What I did was put the front sight on the target then wiggle the rear sights into line eventually pulling the trigger. Haven't tried hunting with it, but a friend says his dispatches feral hogs just fine.

One thing about this forum is we welcome all sorts of firearm enthusiasts knowing most on the forum (1) have a yen for Smiths and (2) own a lot more than just Smiths. You'll see all sorts of discussions here. Some even have to do with guns!

I have a feeling folks gonna want to discuss all manner of reloading and hunting with you. Glad you're aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No hogs here (yet). I've been getting bugged by some of our group about going hog hunting so that may occur soon. One of the group wants to do a helicopter hunt in Florida...

I'm the designated reloader for our group, probably because I own a nice climate controlled shop and have all the 'goodies to do it.

I never used the iron sights, just railed the rifle and added the scope. Sighting in was interesting as you can't bore sight a lever gun. I line lapped the ring set before installing the scope and the rail alignment was just about right on elevation wise, had to play with windage just a bit and that was it. 3 rounds and it was right on.

I'd liked to pull a Maine Moose tag and use the Henry. The 240's should handle a Bullwinkle with no issue. Most moose are shot rather close anyway. They are wicked on Michigan deer. The Sierra 240 Sportsmasters really expand. It's a nice pill.

I'm currently load laddering a 300 Winchester Magnum Titaninum actioned MacMillan stocked Kreiger barreled elk rifle, a reworked Savage 11 hunter, Bartlien Barreled and a all out match grade titanium receivered 308 (none mine except the Savage), all for the group.

4 of us have been hunting together for years now.

I think I have enough powder, primers, brass and bullets on hand to start a small uprising....

I have to say though I surely do like shooting the old 44 Smith and we have open carry here. Just something about wearing a 44 Smith in a Desantis holster, in plain sight, commands a certain respect factor....
    Wiregrassguy and sdismukes like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Links