Smith And Wesson Forums banner

.32 Long HE

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  steelyou 
#1 ·
Like me some old S&W's. New member first post. Looking thru post for info on HE below. Hope you folks can help. 4.25 in barrel. Serial # 3586xx bottom frame grip & cylinder. Serial # under barrel...B 3586xx. No #'s inside wood. Grips like een on Bekeart .22's. From what little i know, Bekeart's were .22. These grips added or original? Mushroom ejector. Have enjoyed perusing all post. Any help/info appreciated. Just got 4th edition Standard Catalog of S&W. Great read. Thanks from North Carolina.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Neat little gun. I have one similar to it in nickel - though not in as good of condition as yours. I've only had it a couple of weeks and haven't even had it to the range yet. I spent a couple of hours polishing up the nickel. A couple of before and after pics. I just finished repairing the cracked left grip and haven't got any pictures with the original grips back on the gun yet.
Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Very nice old 32 you have and should shoot great. Looks to be a 32 Regulation Police made from 1917 to 1942. The grips could be original but no stamping on left bottom stock panel "Patented June 5, 1917" So may be a copy not sure. Nice old gun.

#6 ·
Not a Regulation Police as the backstrap isn't rebated for the RP grips. What you have are 2 screw target grips on that gun. If they are original, that would have been a special order which would show up if you get a Historical Foundation Letter. Odd, but not unprecedented.

If I had to guess, I'd say they were a later addition.

#9 ·
Thanks for info. Still wonder bout serial #3586xx on bottom frame grip & cylinder but # under barrel is...B 3586xx. Have other .32 HE 4in. (improved 'I' frame?) with recess/cutout on rear frame grip and bottom contour is different than pictured revolver and 2 screw grips pictured will not fit. Curious, any info appreciated. Thinkin bout getting letter but it may not provide all answers. Not brightest bulb but my limited 'research' leaves more questions than answers. Appreciate your knowledge and time.

#11 · (Edited)
B just means Blue finish. The underside of the barrel is the correct place for thst stamp. You should also see a B on the grip frame side.
The other .32 with the rebate is Regulation Police style. On that one, the s/n should be on the forward strap.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer
#12 ·
Your gun is a .32 Hand Ejector 3rd Model. The serial numbers for these ran concurrently with the Regulation Police model. Beginning at serial #321000 the cylinders were heat treated. The B in front of the barrel serial number denotes a blued finish from the factory. With the mushroom style ejector rod knob your gun is most likely from the mid to early 20s.

#13 ·
delcrossv...thanks. Now know 'B' preceeding serial # is for blue. You're correct in serial# on front frame grip. Rebated rear frame grip .32 long had ill fitting Pachmyer rubber grips when acquired. Took'um off right away. Finding correct S&W wood panels is akin to looking for needle in haystack. On forum one day & learned more than hours of surfing on my on. This is GREAT❗

#15 ·
You're welcome! :)
For grips check on ebay. "Smith regulation police" grips. They show up from time to time. They'll have this cutout on the back:
Wood Metal

Triplek and tombstone make plastic replacements- can't comment about fit for those though.

#17 ·
Yeah, would be gamble. If target stocks original to pistol. What a classic look with target stocks. Could put letter $$$ into finding stocks for rebated police positive cause it's 'nekkid' now. Gonna do some looking & thinkin'. Cleaned up both today...for age look good & tight. Gonna shoot'em this weekend. Many thanks folks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.