Smith And Wesson Forums banner

New member with a few refinished pistols

2K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  nmshieldshooter 
#1 ·
Howdy. I just recently purchased a hot bluing setup because I had a m29, m586, and a 1905 1st change that desperately needed refinishing. It cost the same to buy brownells tanks and pipes 2nd hand as it would to have had these done, figured I'd rather do it myself. Let me know how I did. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
The finish on those 3 was brutally ugly. The 1905 looked like it was painted, it was actually parked but just plain horrible job done. The 29 was one of the 1st pistols when they did away with the 1/2". So it has the 6" barrel, and was missing the finish almost completely on one side. The 586 had someone's attempt at cold bluing done, it pretty much just wiped off.
Although the dulite oxiblack salts dont have any hint of blue, I really like it. I would hate to use it on a hi polish colt, too black for those imo. I believe s&w used oxiblack at some point, at least older Smith's had the dulite finish. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for welcoming me and for compliments

#20 ·
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Reactions: Curt360
#21 ·
For me to give you a really well informed opinion, I’ll need to send you a couple of my handguns and have you redo those. ;)
Just from your pictures it looks like you did a heck of a good job! :cool:
I greatly enjoy seeing projects like yours done by the members here, especially when well done like yours.
Please post more pictures of your projects. It thrills me to see old guns redone, rebuilt, and put back to use.
Welcome to the forum sir!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.