Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Please help

2K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  jonesy814 
#1 ·
Looking for help trying to figure out what year my gun is from just bought and registered today but no serial number

Attachments

See less See more
#38 ·
Agreed if buyer has paperwork..

Thewelshm

Reactions: Oldgungeezer
#40 ·
Congrats, may I ask what you paid for said gun?

Thewelshm

#42 ·
Cool but don’t risk family over that much$

My o2

Thewelshm

#44 ·
Good call mate...

Thewelshm

#46 ·
Please do, welcome to our family... stay for a while..

Thewelshm

#48 ·
See if there is a good gunsmith in your area and get the gun checked out. The DA Model 3s and Model 4s were really neat guns but came out right at the transition from black powder to smokeless powder. Looking at yours I think yours is from the smokeless powder period but get a gunsmith to confirm that. If it's in good shape, in time and with good lock up it can be not just fun to shoot but a really accurate revolver as well. 32S&W short cartridges are not very powerful and if you are new to shooting may well be a great choice; accurate, low recoil and effective.

#51 ·
when you bought the gun from the auction house, did you have to fill out a form 4473 - like this one?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

if you did, i dont think you are personally at risk for anything - you followed fed rules..

if you did not, then the seller decided it was a pre '1898 manufactured weapon, right or wrong - and you could be at risk, but the seller even more so..

#54 ·
Looks like the Op is in Pennsylvania. There is no requirement by the state to "Register" a handgun. What is done is the form 4473 and background check. For the background check we fill out a" Pennsylvania State Police Application/Record of Sale". I think that is because we use PICS (PA Instant Check) instead of NICS for the background check. This record of Sale is often confused by people as Registering their gun with the state police, when in effect its for the background check and so you have legal paperwork saying you bought the gun. I understand that the names & gun serial numbers that are run at this time, are deleted every 24 hours so there is no permanent database of gun owners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.