M&P 15 Sport and Ruger AR-15
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: M&P 15 Sport and Ruger AR-15

Member #
    Liked
    690 times

M&P 15 Sport and Ruger AR-15

I recently spent some time shopping for an affordable AR-15. I needed (wanted) a new rifle to shoot at steel at the range I go to. Now seemed to be an excellent time to buy an AR, as the $599 market has recently become crowded with choices.

I ended up with a Ruger AR-556, which I'm very happy with, but I also did a lot of reading on the Sport (I'm not sure I've seen anything on the Sport that's not extremely positive).

The biggest thing I came away with from this purchase, and the research and shopping I did along the way, is that it's a really good time for firearms buyers. It's completely a buyer's market for AR's, and many other fine guns are available at prices lower than we've seen in years.

With AR's, contrast today's market with what we had two years ago. Back then, you could hardly find an AR-15 anywhere, and when you did see one, it was priced over $1,000, even for the most basic models. Now there are Sports advertised out there for not much over $500. That is an amazing value to be able to get a really nice AR-15 for such a reasonable price.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    wandered through my local "toy store" two days ago. MP15 Sport was going for 499.99. seems he bought a whole truckload of them and this was his price, which I did not argue about. damn thing shoots very well! have added a sling and will likely also mount a riser and red dot, since my 65 year old eyes don't see the iron sights so well. intended use is 50 to 100 yards, and about as much fun as possible with my clothes on.
    ditto1958 and jayclimber like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1001 times
    My MP15 Sport was a CA bargain at $649, but I love it anyway. Put a sling and 3-9x38 scope on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6606 times
    Local pusher can't seem to get the S&W Sport but he does have the Ruger for 649.00...I may take the plunge.
    Charlie686

" All that is required for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing"

"If You Can't Move Mountains, Sweep Pebbles...Do Something For Jesus Today!"

"Don't look within searching for truth...You are confused already"

NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    13861 times
    Hey, I have a question for y'all that own ruger 556's. Do the ruger AR's take the same bolt & bolt carrier as other AR's? Just wondering. Thanks in advance. I have a PWA ar-15 that is 30 years old, but it just keeps keepin on. jmho

Member #
    Liked
    690 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diabloman View Post
    Hey, I have a question for y'all that own ruger 556's. Do the ruger AR's take the same bolt & bolt carrier as other AR's? Just wondering. Thanks in advance. I have a PWA ar-15 that is 30 years old, but it just keeps keepin on. jmho
    The AR-556 uses mostly standard AR parts. The few parts that are not "milspec" can be easily switched out for standard parts. The bolt and bolt carrier are standard AR parts.

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    I am doing research, standing on the edge of buying some sort of AR, or maybe a Ruger mini-14, and the S&W Sport, and Ruger AR 556 seem to be running neck and neck at this point. Hickok 45 says they are "basic" guns, but, that doesn't mean "cheap"! They are about the same price of the "kits" that seem to be prevalent as cockroaches, and yet come already assembled, with the support of two premier gun companies.
    I'd like the barrel twist to be 1:8, as that will probably stabilize the heaviest weight bullets I'd use...I think that 55-62 gr should be enough for any reasonable use. Will the S&W and Ruger both use G.I. 556 ammo and commercial .223?
    As for optics, With 75-year-old eyes, I need all the help I can get. As you might expect, on a fixed income, the Eotechs or other premium sights are not in the cards.
    I have recently become a firm advocate of red dot sights. Like, 2 weeks ago! I was helping a friend's grandson try to zero his Airsoft AR, it would not zero, but, of all things, and I found I LIKE that big, red dot! I figure that some sort of optic that will cowitness with the provided sights, and still be reasonably rugged and reliable will do me fine. Maybe a 2-3mm red dot, or one of the ~4X AR specific scopes. Hmmmm...

I would like the rifle to be more accurate than the .30 Cal Carbine which was issued to me in the service...barely man-size groups at 300 yards. I won't be shooting for accuracy (ha ha, not much, I won't ), nor expecting what I can achieve with my bolt gun.

Sooo...experts...Ready-made or "kit"?, And...what sort of accuracy should I expect from the S&S, Ruger or a garden-variety "Kit"?

Thanx
    71Chevrolet likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8151 times
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 71Chevrolet; 07-26-2016 at 02:07 AM.
    "I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine!" -Johnny Cash

Member #
    Liked
    690 times
    flyboy61, AR-15 carbines do not tend to be bench rest champions, but they can be very accurate. I bought mine because I can shoot steel targets at 100 yards at my range. It is just challenging enough to be fun. I can also hit clay birds at 50 yards with it. I imagine if I would put an optic on it and maybe even get a better trigger I could do even better. But I'm just keeping mine stock. It is just very, very enjoyable to shoot. I buy the cheapest 55 grain ammo I can find, whether that happens to be brass or steel cased, .223 or 5.56, and my Ruger eats it all.

Oh, one other thing. Since I started this thread, the M&P Sport II has come out. It has a dust cover and forward assist. I think it still has a 1:9 twist. The Ruger has a 1:8 twist. For most of us that makes no difference at all.

You can't go wrong with either rifle.
    jayclimber and Diabloman like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,
    New owner, new member.

Picked up a M&P SportII over the weekend and put about ~300 rounds through it already.

Changed the grip to a Magpul K2, buttstock to a CTR, and added a Bushnell trs25.

Was hitting 12" and 8" steel plates at 200 meters on Sunday and even managed a handful of hits on the big steel plate with spotting help at 500 meters.

Love the gun. Paid $575 out the door for the rifle.

Looking for suggestions on FCGs, muzzle devices, and whether to upgrade the BCG or not.

Planning on swapping all the furniture over Magpul MOE-SL in stealth gray in the near future.

Plan is to have a cost effective 3 gun rifle.

Already have a HK VP9 or Springfield XDM9 and Mossberg to complete the setup.
    Last edited by Praetorian73; 04-28-2016 at 01:06 AM.
    jayclimber likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links