Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Help on co-witness optics

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyZXZ View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

My husband is now 56, he prefers scopes, but with his eyesight....
    Thanks Wendy! Seems like a real friendly forum on here ..

Thanks all for the replies .. I have plenty of good leads here ..

Cheers,
    Chris
    Brit in Texas
    M&P Shield 9 2.0 PC Ported
    MP-15 MOE M-LOK

Member #
    Liked
    262 times
    What I thought to be correct was confirmed above - you probably can't co-witness anything more than 1.5x because the sight will blur. A couple of years ago, I ditched my red dot because my old eyes were having trouble doing much more than keeping the bullet on the target at 50+ yards. I found a Nikon 2-7x scope on sale at Bass Pro, replaced the red dot, and haven't looked back.
    Digsy66 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    17653 times
    1x red dot is for fast target acquisition, not making small groups on paper.

All my AR shooting is done offhand from 50 - 200yds at steel. Point & click shooting. As long as there's a 'ding' I'm happy.

For those with a 1x red dot agonizing over not seeing a bullseye clearly on paper, they're using the wrong optic to begin with, even if eyes are decent.

I'm in my 60s and struggle with eyesight like most of my similarly aged friends. My Aimpoint Micro is perfect for what it's intended. I've consider an LPVO but don't want to add a bunch of weight and lose co-witness.

Name:  gwLmOhy.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  1.98 MB
    Digsy66 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Shooting glasses with bifocals

Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    There are a number of ways to deal with problems as your eyesight deteriorates. It's not necessarily resolved by adding optics to a rifle.

I also have had the slow degeneration of my eyesight related to aging. Other than a growing cataract (which will eventually have to be addresses) this has been mainly affecting my close in vision (reading, etc) with some difficulty focusing on distance.

My eye doctor discovered a problem called Fuchs Dystopia that affects the cornea; a problem that can be addressed with a simple ointment that draws moisture from the eye.

But these are my issues. Do you know exactly what has been happening with your vision?

In my case, I was able to address my needs for shooting with a set of glasses that were made expressly for use at the range. They are regular safety glasses with shatterproof lenses.

The lens for my dominant eye is a single vision lens and is set with focus at the plane of the end of my outstretched hand. This roughly matches the position of the front sight of a handgun, and approximates that of the front sight of a rifle when shouldered. The other lens is a progressive lens which allows me to shift sharp focus between close up objects and distant objects like the target.

Remember that when you shoot, the front sight should be in sharp focus. Distant objects like the target will normally be fuzzy - especially in dim light.

The use of an optical sight like a scope can help basically bring the sight picture into a small short focal plane created by the optic. To see this you need glasses that will correct for close up objects which is essentially the focal plane the scope is creating. For red dot sights, focus is basically the same as with iron sights.

You can get red dot optics and mount them to co-witness with existing sights on your AR-15 platform. Remember that inexpensive sights rarely can stand up to the recoil impulse over time (which is why the better optics cost more). An inexpensive red-dot may survive long term use on a .22LR rifle, but not on a full power .223 / 5.56mm platform.

I recently bought an Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Ready Optic) which came with a co-witness sight base and installed neatly with the folding sights I have on the rifle. It's a 1x (non-magnification) optic with a 2 moa dot. A 3x magnifier can be added, but it hangs over the rear folded sight on my rifle.

I've got a very old EOTech that has been a good performing red-dot sight. A couple of Vortex models are also good in co-witness. I have a SPARC-AR and Strike-Fire and both have held up well.

So, my advice is to try a set of glasses first, then consider some optics.
    These shooting glasses from SSP with top bifocals helped me focus on my sights better, due to me being farsighted. Found them on Amazon at a decent price.

https://www.amazon.com/SSP-Eyewear-I...s%2C185&sr=8-2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links