Anybody Else Experience This Issue?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By mrerick

Thread: Anybody Else Experience This Issue?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Anybody Else Experience This Issue?

Hello all,

I recently purchased an M&P15T and when target shooting at a local range this past Friday I noticed that the gun would fire when on safe. After finding this problem I took it back to the gun shop I bought it from and they will be shipping it back to S&W this week to fix. This is my first rifle and first time I will be using the warranty service. I have had multiple pistols from S&W previously that have worked flawlessly. I just cant grasp how something like this could get through the production/quality line especially when it’s a critical safety feature. My question to everyone is if you have had a similar issue with your M&P15 and how long I should expect to wait to have this fixed by S&W.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    25670 times
    Not experienced this myself, but it's one reason I teach students to never trust any mechanical safety mechanism without verifying it, and never point the muzzle at anything you would not destroy (particularly including other humans). I take muzzle awareness so seriously that I have asked students to leave when they ignore this simple safety rule.

All safety mechanisms can fail.

The rifle may have been assembled incorrectly, a part damaged or defective. S&W will make it right.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Very true and I’ve always followed proper safety precautions when operating any firearm. It just sucks that it came broken out of the factory like that. I’ll take it as a positive because while I never relied on safety switches this really opened my eyes to how useless they really are to ensuring safety.

Anyways, I gave them a call this morning and it looks like it will be 5 weeks to repair. The representative I talked to stated this is not a reoccurring issue and that it seems like just one bad gun that escaped so that’s good to hear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    40820 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    Not experienced this myself, but it's one reason I teach students to never trust any mechanical safety mechanism without verifying it, and never point the muzzle at anything you would not destroy (particularly including other humans). I take muzzle awareness so seriously that I have asked students to leave when they ignore this simple safety rule.

All safety mechanisms can fail.

The rifle may have been assembled incorrectly, a part damaged or defective. S&W will make it right.
    +1

Member #
    Liked
    661 times
    So for more clarification, you can pull the trigger with the safety on and it would release the hammer and the firing pin strikes the primer?

Being that this is your first rifle, here's a safety tip for you. Any time you chamber a round in an AR the firing pin dents the primer. So if you feel the need to chamber a round, do it outside and pointed in a safe direction. If the primer is soft it can fire. Rechambering the same round increases that risk.

I learned this as my brother bought some small rifle primers and reloaded some .223. He didn't know there was a different type of primer for the AR. He was shooting at a match and it started doing "slam fire" 2-3rds at a time.
    Last edited by TN622; 01-06-2020 at 09:32 PM.
    Whammo sling shot with Vortex red dot, extra power rubber band, Multi-caliber

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That is correct I am able to pull the trigger when the safety is on which releases the hammer on the firing pin which strikes the primer.

That’s good information to know I had no idea the firing pin dents the primers when chambering. The rounds I used were never chambered previously but now that you mentioned it the rep. from S&W did mention an issue where rifles would sometimes double fire. Perhaps that is due to other owners using rounds that have been chambered previously?

Member #
    Liked
    661 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris728 View Post
    That is correct I am able to pull the trigger when the safety is on which releases the hammer on the firing pin which strikes the primer.

Perhaps that is due to other owners using rounds that have been chambered previously?
    Out of spec/defective/wrong primers, extended tip firing pin/out of spec. I am told the military in some cases has the previously chambered rounds ejected into a barrel.
    Whammo sling shot with Vortex red dot, extra power rubber band, Multi-caliber

Links