• 1 Post By O4L
  • 2 Post By Mister Dave
  • 1 Post By TN622

Thread: Newbie here. Got a couple questions for my M&P Sport 2

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Newbie here. Got a couple questions for my M&P Sport 2

Hello everyone. Just purchased my first AR rifle. A S&W M&P15 Sport II. I am a member at my local indoor gun range that is at max, 25 yards. My question is, if in the future I wanted to buy a scope, would it make much of a difference at 25 yards, and if so, what would be some bargain scopes for that distance. Also, would a red dot make sense to purchase if I’m only using this for target shooting at this distance? I plan on getting used to the weapon in its stock form for now, but was just curious for future reference. Thanks in advance for any help. Have a safe and happy new year!
    paulwv and Oldgungeezer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    59231 times
    Welcome to the friendly forum. The whole purpose of a scope is to allow you to see your target better regardless of the distance you're shooting. A red dot simplifies & therefore speeds up target acquisition. You're wise to get used to your rifle before you start modifying it. No modification will make up for lack of practice (although a lot of newbies try that). I have no clue what a good bargain brand would be, for target use only a cheap one would likely be fine but for defense use I'd recommend the best you can afford. Your call as to whether it would help or not.
    paulwv and Oldgungeezer like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    15893 times
    1x red dot is fine for short distances. Vortex, Primary Arms and Holosun are decent budget priced. For those who suffer astigmatism 1x "prism" are an option.

LPVO (low power variable optic) typically 1-4x and 1-6x are popular. There are too many budget makers to list.

There's is a lot to consider... everything from scope mount height to co-witness... and so much more. Do your homework.

Take a look at Primary Arms website and Palmetto State Armory website for discounts on budget optics.

Happy optics hunting.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    25266 times
    Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your modern sporting rifle.

The reason scopes are not "bargains" is that they must be constructed to absorb the recoil impulse without damage over thousands of rounds.

Learn how to shoot the rifle with iron sights, and keep it as simple as possible without stuff hanging off it making it heavy and bulky. Lean and light keeps it maneuverable without stuff to get caught up on.

For short distances, if you must have optics, first consider a red-dot - brand name, rather than cost reduced Chinese knockoff. Every once in a while you'll find some of the really good ones on sale like Aimpoint's PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic). I picked one up a year ago from Palmetto State Armory.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

O4L
    Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    For target shooting at 25 yards it just depends on how good your eyesight is.

When I was younger I had great eyesight and had no need for anything other than iron sights. About ten years ago I started having trouble with focus on the sights and still seeing the target well.

I bought a cheap 2moa red dot to see how I would like it and after zeroing it at 25 yards I had no problem hitting my target out to 400 yards using a little holdover.

I am farsighted and with the red dot you pretty much look through the scope past the dot and focus on the target so it worked well for me.

That red dot still works perfectly fine but since I have an astigmatism I was starting to have trouble with the dot looking more like a smear. I purchased a 1x prism scope and I couldn't be happier with it.

I am strongly considering getting a 3x prism scope for longer distances.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3815 times
    I just picked up this sweet reflex sight on sale for $80. But even at full price you still won't regret it:

Name:  SM26008_IMG_main_1000.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  393.6 KB

https://www.sightmark.com/product.php?item=290

I also visit a nice indoor range with the same 25 yard limit and I have that same AR. I did pretty good with the iron sights but the difference in my groups with this sight over the iron sights was remarkable.

I don't shoot anywhere that a scope would be that helpful..... yet...... so can't help there.

I also swapped out the trigger for a CMC 3.5lb straight trigger. I like it a lot. It's a drop-in making it super easy to install.
    Oldgungeezer and paulwv like this.
    Member GOA, NRA & SAF

Member #
    Liked
    645 times
    This right here. https://www.amazon.com/Field-Sport-G...g-goods&sr=1-4 Set it on a UTG 0.83" riser for 100% co-witness. I have multiples of these. Red/Green choices.

If you irons are on? Put the dot on the tip of your front sight! It either puts you right on, or pertnear there.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+sport+red+dot
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    Whammo sling shot with Vortex red dot, extra power rubber band, Multi-caliber

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    40525 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Links