Trigger replacement
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ChattanoogaPhil
  • 1 Post By ChattanoogaPhil

Thread: Trigger replacement

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Member #
    45213
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Lubbock texas
    Posts
    4
    Liked
    4 times

    Trigger replacement

    I ve never replaced a trigger assembly in a ar. Do all ar 15 have the bolt in the grip you have to loosen to replace the drop in trigger
    I was told to leave a mark in life , didn't know it would be a skid mark

  2. #2
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    5427
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Posts
    8,966
    Liked
    25670 times
    The AR-15 is a standardized Military Specification based platform. There are variations and customization from some vendors, but most receivers are standard.

    There is a mounting bolt in the base of the hand grip that must generally be removed to disassemble the trigger assembly. You should be able to find any number of assembly videos on YouTube, or get a shop manual or government issued armorer's manual like:

    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MIL...4%20manual.pdf

    IIRC the grip bolt holds captured a spring and indent pin involved with the safety / fire selector.
    Last edited by mrerick; 12-22-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    Cheers! Marc


    Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22921
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,976
    Liked
    16260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkwebb View Post
    I ve never replaced a trigger assembly in a ar. Do all ar 15 have the bolt in the grip you have to loosen to replace the drop in trigger
    Yes, all ARs have a grip screw.

    No, not all aftermarket triggers require removing the grip to replace the trigger.

    The reason to remove the grip is to remove the safety which sometimes is required for aftermarket cartridge type triggers to maneuver into place. IIRC, my Timney wouldn't fit without first removing the safety, but my Wilson Combat slipped under the safety no problem.

    So the answer to your question is that it depends on the new trigger. In any event, it's no big deal.
    combat likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Member #
    48745
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    7
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Yes, all ARs have a grip screw.

    No, not all aftermarket triggers require removing the grip to replace the trigger.

    The reason to remove the grip is to remove the safety which sometimes is required for aftermarket cartridge type triggers to maneuver into place. IIRC, my Timney wouldn't fit without first removing the safety, but my Wilson Combat slipped under the safety no problem.

    So the answer to your question is that it depends on the new trigger. In any event, it's no big deal.

    That reminds me, I want you to help me pick some triggers for my two DPMS Recons.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22921
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,976
    Liked
    16260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
    That reminds me, I want you to help me pick some triggers for my two DPMS Recons.
    Hands down best deal and top quality are LaRue triggers. They offer both two stage and single stage triggers (single stage just recently came out). Even Geissele fanboys regularly comment that the LaRue is on par. I have a LaRue two stage. When LaRue triggers were first introduced they were $250. The rumored story (and you know how BS travels) is that Mark LaRue and Bill Geissele got into some type of pissing match so Mark decide he was going to sell his triggers for under $100 just to squeeze him. True or not, the reality is that you can now purchase either the LaRue MBT-2S or MTB-1S for $80 Christmas pricing (usually $87). I say all this being a Wilson Combat single stage fanboy spending nearly $250 for their TTU several years ago.

    I got an MBT-2S at Christmas two years ago.

    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.44.51 AM.png
Views: 28
Size:  2.73 MB

    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 8.46.58 AM.png
Views: 28
Size:  2.46 MB
    combat likes this.


 

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
SmithandWessonForums.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson. We are an enthusiast site and fans of Smith & Wesson Firearms. To visit the official Smith & Wesson site, click here: Smith-Wesson.com.